Menu

to all of you who laughed at or responded to my TEXT thread....

I went into Verizon and let the people know that I wanted a phone with a larger screen, texting (yes, some of you sold me on texting and I figured it would be easier to reach my boys through texting via a phone call since they don't always ANSWER their phones!:glare: OH! And I got that SWYPE keyboard? Is that what it's called?) and one that takes good pictures. And that was it. No fancy schmancy stuff, no internet. None of that impressed me. Just plain old phone. Period.

And then I played with a Droid. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

It really is cool.:lol:

I went into Verizon and let the people know that I wanted a phone with a larger screen, texting (yes, some of you sold me on texting and I figured it would be easier to reach my boys through texting via a phone call since they don't always ANSWER their phones!:glare: OH! And I got that SWYPE keyboard? Is that what it's called?) and one that takes good pictures. And that was it. No fancy schmancy stuff, no internet. None of that impressed me. Just plain old phone. Period.

I got my Android at the end of August and the novelty still hasn't worn off.

does your crash during or after sending a text? I'm nervous now that I've done a search here!

I'm BEYOND thrilled, but sad that dh spend $250 on a Kindle (before they went way down in price!) when all I needed was my Droid. :glare:

does your crash during or after sending a text? I'm nervous now that I've done a search here!

I'm BEYOND thrilled, but sad that dh spend $250 on a Kindle (before they went way down in price!) when all I needed was my Droid. :glare:

I've had no issues with texting and I text a lot. The only time I've ever had any problems is when I was constantly running a 3G counter in my status bar (AT&T doesn't have and unlimited plan :angry:), to make sure I stayed within my monthly allotment. When it was updating, which was often, the phone would freeze up until it was done. It took me a few days to figure out that was the problem. Now I just check it every few days or so, then end it. No problems. Last night, I redid my wallpaper, icons, and widgets, and now I feel like I have a whole new phone. It's really quite fun.

I got my DROID X in mid September, and ditto. :D

Not once. I use Handcent for texting rather than the stock message program, but I haven't had a problem with either. There is a rebooting issue after the latest DROID X update. Some DXs reboot when the SD card is mounted by a computer as a mass storage device via USB, but this is a minor inconvenience as it works fine after the reboot.

Unless a phone is defective, most problems can be fixed by clearing the caches or, in the most extreme cases, a factory reset. A corrupt SD card can cause problems too, just like a corrupt HDD would for a computer (solution: copy the data to a computer, format the card, load the data back). Happily, I haven't had any such issues.

The app market keeps track of which apps you've purchased, and an app like AppBrain can keep track of the others, so if worse comes to absolute worst reloading everything isn't as bad as you might think. There are programs that will back up user data, but the only thing I back up is the newspaper articles I've saved, and I do this manually.

I've had no issues with texting and I text a lot. The only time I've ever had any problems is when I was constantly running a 3G counter in my status bar (AT&T doesn't have and unlimited plan :angry:), to make sure I stayed within my monthly allotment. When it was updating, which was often, the phone would freeze up until it was done. It took me a few days to figure out that was the problem. Now I just check it every few days or so, then end it. No problems. Last night, I redid my wallpaper, icons, and widgets, and now I feel like I have a whole new phone. It's really quite fun.

DH and I both have Flipsides (Droid OS) and we have AT&T. Out plan has unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data.

DH and I both have Flipsides (Droid OS) and we have AT&T. Out plan has unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data.

Did you have unlimited internet before you got the Flipsides? We were told the only way we could get unlimited internet is if we had it before and essentially "carry it over". The options we were given were 200MB for $15 or 2G for I don't know how much. Since we have Wi-Fi, I don't even get close to the to using the 200MB allotment.

Stupid question alert: Can you use ANY apps on any smart phone or are they carrier/phone specific?
Yes, as long as the device is authorized to use its respective app store, yes. There are a very few Android phones which are not authorized (essentially because they don't meet Google's performance or quality standards), but the vast majority are.

Well, there are some apps that are carrier specific, for example Verizon's VCast and their NFL thingamajig, but I don't think it's these you're asking about.

Stupid question alert: Can you use ANY apps on any smart phone or are they carrier/phone specific?

My contract with T-Mobile is up in March and I am looking around for ANY carrier with which I can use a smartphone, but not pay crazy high fees for unlimited talk/text and web. Is it a pipe dream?

It's operating system specific. If you have an android, you download apps from the Android Market. It's the same with the IPhone, Blackberry, and Windows phones. I'm not familiar with markets for Windows or Blackberry, but I'm sure they have something. Many times, a developer will make the same app available for different OSs.

Moira posted a link in the other phone thread (Denise's thread), should be on the first page, about a Verizon deal that looked pretty good. I can't remember if it was Android specific.

Moira posted a link in the other phone thread (Denise's thread), should be on the first page, about a Verizon deal that looked pretty good. I can't remember if it was Android specific.
It's a trial program for existing customers, by invitation only. However, many existing Verizon customers have gotten in without the invitation. Once in, you're golden, as you can keep the plan indefinitely.

I don't think it's android specific.

It's a trial program for existing customers, by invitation only. However, many existing Verizon customers have gotten in without the invitation. Once in, you're golden, as you can keep the plan indefinitely.

I don't think it's android specific.

Thank you! I am comparing all of them with billshrink and will see how I can negotiate that one. (I realize it is for existing customers, but it doesn't hurt to ask!)

OH! And I got that SWYPE keyboard? Is that what it's called?) and one that takes good pictures. And that was it.

:hurray:

I have a Fascinate, not a Droid, but I had problems with crashing at first. I was almost ready to take the phone back, when I discovered that it was because someone :glare: had put on a "live" background (animated, like a moving waterfall), and I had too many apps running. When I changed the background and found the task killer, all the problems were solved.

Did you have unlimited internet before you got the Flipsides? We were told the only way we could get unlimited internet is if we had it before and essentially "carry it over". The options we were given were 200MB for $15 or 2G for I don't know how much. Since we have Wi-Fi, I don't even get close to the to using the 200MB allotment.

I had unlimited b/c I have had 3 different Windows based smartphones before getting the Flipside. I am not sure but I don't think DH was on an unlimited data package before (he had a Blackberry). You are probably better off on your current plan since you don't go over the 200 MB; our is an additional $30/month per phone for the unlimited data and another $30 for family unlimited text. I looked at our account online to be sure I was remembering correctly and there is a note that if you currently have an unlimited data plan and switch to one with a limit, you will not be able to switch back to an unlimited plan later. Guess we are stuck with our unlimited. I haven't been able to figure it out b/c DH does not use the internet much at all, but his data usage is ~10 times that of mine, and I surf the web (and check the WTM board) from my phone all the time. I can't figure that out.

I haven't been able to figure it out b/c DH does not use the internet much at all, but his data usage is ~10 times that of mine, and I surf the web (and check the WTM board) from my phone all the time. I can't figure that out.

All I can think is maybe most of his apps are using 3G instead of Wi-Fi. Assuming y'all have Wi-Fi. Or if he downloads attachments from emails that might be large.