Menu

Question about Apologia's "Jump-In!" writing program...

Sparrows-Song

I hate the "perfect binding" on the student book (why didn't they make it a spiral binding?!) -- it just won't lay flat, which makes actually writing IN the book very difficult. I have my son write his assignments in a regular spiralbound notebook. That also allows him more room for changes, editing, and revising. Also, he has been moving more and more towards composing/writing directly on the computer, and wouldn't be writing in the book even if we had been using the student book.

So using other paper not only eliminates the difficulty of writing IN the book -- it would also allow you to use 1 student book for 2 students. : ) Warm regards, Lori D.

In answer to your other question -- we're using it this year with our 8th grader who is a struggling writer. Jump In is a great "beginner" program; very thorough in teaching students how to think of what to write and how to back up their thoughts with examples and how to organize their sentences/paragraphs.

The only potential concerns I see for using Jump In:

- If your 7th grader is a good writer, Jump In will be too basic.

- If your 5th grader is young, be aware that there that occasionally some mature topics (such as abortion) are used as examples of good writing or as suggested writing topics. Preview so you can skip over this if your student is not ready for these topics.

- The worldview of the author is definitely evangelical Christian; while not pervasive, some examples of good writing, and some suggested writing topics are definitely from this viewpoint. If this does not match your worldview, then you may feel frustrated in using this program.

Best of luck! Warmly, Lori D.