Menu

Best logic program for slow learner?

Michelle T

I would like to start some sort of logic program with DS, who is 11.5. Due to ADHD and LD's, he has fairly severe difficulty with comprehension, and great trouble with generalizing, inference, deduction, really any sort of logical thinking.

What program would be good for a child like mine? Anyone have suggestions?

Michelle T

at a level below his grade level. This program is great for taking students (with their teacher's active participation) by the hand and teaching them how to think. It works withboth verbal and non-verbal skills. After a while, I'd also throw in some Mind Benders and The Reading Detective, also by CTP.

Then, if your ds's physical problems, such as vision, SPD, and auditory problems, are remediated as far as they can be, I would do an intensive cognitive therapy program. Learning Rx would be my first choice because they have a program that focuses on logic and math skills. PACE, by the same company, would be my second choice. If neither are possible for you, there is a new cognitive skills program coming out soon that is designed for parents to administer. Watch the Special Needs boards for notice for when it's available. (I did BrainSkills with my ds, which is no longer available. :( )

I'd then go to Thinking Tool Box. It's a fun easy introduction to the skills of thinking. There's also lots of funny excercises to practice what's taught. From there I think you could go two ways - The Art of Argument or The Fallacy Detective. The Art of Argument is more serious and textbook like than TTB. At 14yo, my ds should be able to easily handle it. I'd like to do Fallacy Detective because it sounds like fun, but I've recieved the impression that it is too politically opinionated for my liking in a course designed to teach how to think.

Of course, I'd work on picking courses and activities that push thinking. The problem is avoiding courses that are too heavy into thinking. For my ds, I've learned that he needs solid info instruction first, then thinking problems.

I wouldn't rush into a formal logic program. My ds's thinking and reasoning skills are much better now that he's 13 than when he was 11.5.

After a while, I'd also throw in some Mind Benders and The Reading Detective, also by CTP.

My slower student has really enjoyed Mind Benders. We've taken it slowly, working together on terminology that is used.

I'm going to look into the other programs Kathy suggested since he's completed Level B and I know he's not ready for Introductory Logic by Canon Press which is what his brother moved into.

Not experienced with LDs, but the thought that comes to mind is to start at a simple level, keep it gentle, and try a wide variety of puzzle types -- if you can get a connection with one type of critical thinking/logic puzzle, the brain can start making connections through that one into other kinds of logic puzzles. We've always started our school mornings with 5 minutes of "brain warm-up" with some sort of book/puzzle/game we all do together.

An excellent source of a wide variety of puzzle types are the Puzzlemania books (the collections of puzzles from the "best of Highlights magazine").

Play games as part of a "family night" that require logic, deductive, and strategy skills:

- Set

- The Secret Door

- Mastermind

- Scan (old Parker Brothers game, often available on ebay)

- Blokus

- Clue

- 221B Baker Street

- Amazing Labrynth

- various "trick taking" card games

We also like the "Critical Thinking Puzzles in Images, Patterns, and Logic" series (3 books, one each for gr. 1-3, 4-6, 7-12), as they have a variety of puzzle types and even a variety of levels within each book.

Try some very simple crosswords, word searches, and soduko puzzles together.

Another good source of variety of puzzles to start that logical thinking: the out of print series, "Gifted & Talented" for ages 6-8 by Susan Amerikaner, Martha Cheney, or others -- don't be put off by the young age; there are *great* critical thinking skills developed in these books! Here are links to various ones (at amazon):

General Critical Thinking:

- http://www.amazon.com/Things-Develop-Childs-Gifts-Talents/dp/0812593928/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201379059&sr=1-25

- http://www.amazon.com/Puzzles-Games-Reading-Gifted-Talented/dp/1565650212/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201379059&sr=1-30

- http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Creative-Thinking-Talented-Workbooks/dp/1565651294/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201379204&sr=1-9

Math

- http://www.amazon.com/Math-Puzzles-Games-Workbook-Talented/dp/1565658353/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201379319&sr=1-36

Language Arts:

- http://www.amazon.com/Language-arts-develop-talented-workbooks/dp/B00072LD0C/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201378845&sr=1-15

- http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Talented-Language-Arts/dp/1565650646/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201378845&sr=1-18

From there, you can try moving into more "traditional" logic puzzles:

- Dr. Funster's "Think a Minutes" from Critical Thinking Press

- Dandylion Logic series: "Logic Countdown", "Blastoff with Logic", "Orbiting with Logic"

and then the "Mindbenders" or "Plexors" series which are straight logic puzzles.

After you've tried a variety of things, and he's matured some, you might try the Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox books, one a year, somewhere in the 8th-10th grade age range. They present the logic material simply, with humor/stories, which seems to help make the abstract topic of logic more accessible.

We've tried to keep it simple and fun, and that seems to have connected with our boys -- though, again, we're not wrestling with serious LDs. BEST of luck, Michelle! Warmly, Lori D.

This is a more expensive option, and it's a computer-based option. But they have a developmental vision program as well as a logic program. (And also a reading program; don't know if you need that.)

My son has really enjoyed Lexia.

It starts off easily and progresses as the student is able. The software keeps track of the student's progress and presents the next level as the student needs it. It is game-like in it's interface, but it is much more thoughful and educational than a game. It's really very well done.

like PACE or Learning RX I would recommend Visual Thinking Cards or the game SET as a starter. These are actually used as part of the PACE and Learning RX programs but can be of benefit on their own if worked about 15 minutes a day with the student having to articulate their thought process.

The biggest problem with logic and reasoning skills is that the thinking is done "behind closed doors' and we can't see how the child's mind is processing the information. Getting them to verbally walk you through their thought process will allow you to "see' where they go off track.

Be aware that giving them the correction will not help them learn how to learn. You have to play the 20+ question game.. What else do you see..., What if you turned it..., How about looking at the color first, what would you do next...?

These skills require exposure and immediate identification when they go off course and an effort to prompt them to the right conclusion. If you do end up having to supply the answer, ask them to restate how you came to that conclusion. Ask a similar question or present a similar set of facts within 10 minutes to see if the idea stuck.

If they still don't 'get it', remind them about the other example and ask them to compare the two and point out the similarities and differences. Make sure you point out ALL the elements they get right so they can tell they are improving. For example if something has 5 elements and they get 2 correct, focus on those at the very end to help encourage them and let them know you are aware of their efforts.

Logic and reasoning skills, along with processing speed and visual processing skills are the hardest to improve but can be done. Make it fun or you will have lost the battle before it has even begun.

Good luck!

The biggest problem with logic and reasoning skills is that the thinking is done "behind closed doors' and we can't see how the child's mind is processing the information. Getting them to verbally walk you through their thought process will allow you to "see' where they go off track.

Be aware that giving them the correction will not help them learn how to learn. You have to play the 20+ question game.. What else do you see..., What if you turned it..., How about looking at the color first, what would you do next...?

This is what I like about Building Thinking Skills. Done right, this is what you will do with your dc. You'll also demonstrate how you think through a problem. BTS, done well, is not an easy course. It takes time and effort but it pays off well.

But, as much as I like it, if I could do only one course I'd chose PACE or Learning Rx over BTS.