Menu

Spanish language movies for kids?

KarenNC

I'm looking for suggestions for Spanish-language movies that would be appropriate for my 10 yo daughter---movies originally made in Spanish. I already know that I can put on Spanish subtitles on her movies or do Spanish with English subtitles for them, which is great, but I'm also hoping for some exposure to the cultures of Spanish-speaking countries. By switching the subtitles, I'm getting the language, but no cultural differences in the storyline/approach (hoping that's clear).

I found "Viva Cuba!" on Netflix and we enjoyed it. I'm fine with PG and some PG-13 movies (mostly concerned with sex/intimacy/etc rather than action/fighting). At this point, because she is just beginning in Spanish, the goal is primarily exposure to the cultures and to the sounds of the language rather than understanding the dialogue in Spanish.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other movies that we could get from Netflix (streaming would be ideal)?

• 2 weeks later...

Are you just looking for movies? The first that comes to mind is laberinto del fauno, which is a bit dark. Watch the moves first though, as cultural differences make what is OK in one culture very different than others. I might steer clear of Una Pelicula de Huevos, which may come up in your search for movies.

For shows, you may want to look into Chapulin Colorado, El Chavo del Ocho, and I think El Gordo y el Flaco. All of these are available in cartoon versions as well and are very popular shows in Latin America. El Chavo is especially popular throughout Latin America.

Another option might be a novela infantile. depending on where you live, there may be a children's novela on. Spanish channels usually play them twice a day, morning and evening. This would be an hour a day though, but there's a plot to follow and I would say it is the fstest way to really begin to undestand, short of being dropped into a Spanish speaking country.;)

If you would like, I can ask my kids about some other movies. We live in Mexico, so they will know of quite a few.

HTH

Danielle

I grew up watching Que Pasa, USA on tv here in South Florida. It was put on by PBS and was the first bi-lingual television program on US television. The shows have the typical 30 minute sit-com format and they chronicle the lives of a Cuban exile family living in Miami and how it affects the three generations who live in the house (the grandparents, the parents and the kids who are becoming Americanized). It's a good show and funny and deals with a lot of issues pertaining to culture (and the clashes thereof) and of course the pain of exile. It's bi-lingual so your dd can probably follow the story pretty well even and a lot of times a line of dialogue will be repeated in both languages. The Spanish they speak is VERY Cuban though with the accent and certain words that only Cubans use, but for the most part it is still proper Spanish. ;) :D I think Youtube has some episodes or maybe PBS's website. :)

Are you just looking for movies? The first that comes to mind is laberinto del fauno, which is a bit dark. Watch the moves first though, as cultural differences make what is OK in one culture very different than others. I might steer clear of Una Pelicula de Huevos, which may come up in your search for movies.

For shows, you may want to look into Chapulin Colorado, El Chavo del Ocho, and I think El Gordo y el Flaco. All of these are available in cartoon versions as well and are very popular shows in Latin America. El Chavo is especially popular throughout Latin America.

Another option might be a novela infantile. depending on where you live, there may be a children's novela on. Spanish channels usually play them twice a day, morning and evening. This would be an hour a day though, but there's a plot to follow and I would say it is the fstest way to really begin to undestand, short of being dropped into a Spanish speaking country.;)

If you would like, I can ask my kids about some other movies. We live in Mexico, so they will know of quite a few.

HTH

Danielle

Any suggestions will be helpful. I asked for movies because I think they may be a bit easier for me to find, as we don't have cable or satellite. I'm dependent primarily on Netflix. We can get PBS, but I'm not sure how much Spanish-language programming our local stations here in NC have (vs. somewhere that there's a larger concentration of Spanish-speaking residents).

I'm familiar with previewing. We like Japanese anime/manga---one has to be aware of cultural mores as to what's okay for kids. I'll never forget my first encounter with the tanuki from Japanese folklore. I was walking through the mall in Japantown in San Francisco with my then 7yo daughter and there were large traditionally modeled statues of them in the middle of the mall.:eek: They also show up in a kids' anime, can't remember the title now. Evidently their extremely large.....well, male attributes.... are considered humorous in Japanese culture. Not what I was expecting!

Edited by KarenNC

I grew up watching Que Pasa, USA on tv here in South Florida. It was put on by PBS and was the first bi-lingual television program on US television. The shows have the typical 30 minute sit-com format and they chronicle the lives of a Cuban exile family living in Miami and how it affects the three generations who live in the house (the grandparents, the parents and the kids who are becoming Americanized). It's a good show and funny and deals with a lot of issues pertaining to culture (and the clashes thereof) and of course the pain of exile. It's bi-lingual so your dd can probably follow the story pretty well even and a lot of times a line of dialogue will be repeated in both languages. The Spanish they speak is VERY Cuban though with the accent and certain words that only Cubans use, but for the most part it is still proper Spanish. ;) :D I think Youtube has some episodes or maybe PBS's website. :)

Thanks, I'll look for it. The Spanish curriculum we use now is heavily weighted toward Mexican pronunciation (the author is a friend whose husband is from Mexico and her niece did the audio portion). We have acquaintances from various areas--Ecaudor, Colombia, Puerto Rico, etc--so I expect she will get exposed to a mix anyway.:001_smile:

I found El Chavo del Ocho (or at least a 2 vol dvd set of "The Best of...") at our local library, so I've put it on hold. Now to see if it's subtitled in English or if we can handle it without :001_smile:. I'm afraid we're still at the learning nouns and basic greetings stage. I looked at "Que Pasa USA" and I think it may also be a little advanced for us without subtitles at this point. I don't want to frustrate her too much.

Edited by KarenNC

Thanks, I'll look for it. The Spanish curriculum we use now is heavily weighted toward Mexican pronunciation (the author is a friend whose husband is from Mexico and her niece did the audio portion). We have acquaintances from various areas--Ecaudor, Colombia, Puerto Rico, etc--so I expect she will get exposed to a mix anyway.:001_smile:

Oh yes the more exposure to accents the better! I grew up speaking Spanish and English but only was familiar with the accents of the people where I live. Cuban, Spanish, Colombian, Venezuelan etc. I'll never forget when I met my husband. He is from the Dominican Republic and he was the first Dominican I'd ever met. When I would go visit him and talk with his parents I had a hard time understanding them at first because I wasn't accustomed to their accent. I just remember always asking them to repeat stuff, but then I got used to their accent and have never had a problem understanding them since. So yeah that was a really long and roundabout way of saying, "exposure to accents is good". :D hehe

I LOVED that show!!!! Especially the "embarasada" episode! :lol:

Any suggestions will be helpful. I asked for movies because I think they may be a bit easier for me to find, as we don't have cable or satellite. I'm dependent primarily on Netflix. We can get PBS, but I'm not sure how much Spanish-language programming our local stations here in NC have (vs. somewhere that there's a larger concentration of Spanish-speaking residents).

There is almost always one non cable Spanish channel, and that is the one you are most likely to find these shows on. Don't be turned off if you can't get subtitles. I taught my BL English, while living her in Mexico, and one thing he has to do was watch a series of his choice in English. He chose Friends. He didn't understand a thing for about a month, but eventually he was laughing away. He says it was the easiest part of learning English.

I will get on that list for you.

Danielle

I LOVED that show!!!! Especially the "embarasada" episode! :lol:

LOL Ay si con Carmencita! jeje I like that one too. They were so funny. Or the one with the abuela when she overhears them saying that they should take her to a nursery and she thought they were going to put her in a nursing home so she starts trying to dress and act hip and cool so they won't kick her out. :lol::lol: I LOVED the abuela. She was the best!! I like the one where she's bragging about her family crest and mocking Antonio because his family didn't have one and she gets all high and mighty and is like, "No puedo creer que me case con un hombre cuya familia no tiene escudo." and the abuelo is like, "si, para ser los mejores limpiabotas en Espana." :lol::lol: Ay y la vecina Marta! Ay Dios mio. The way that la abuela would kiss her on the cheek trying not to touch her and make that face. jejejejeje She was so funny. I used to have such a crush on Joe too. :drool: :tongue_smilie:

There is almost always one non cable Spanish channel, and that is the one you are most likely to find these shows on. Don't be turned off if you can't get subtitles. I taught my BL English, while living her in Mexico, and one thing he has to do was watch a series of his choice in English. He chose Friends. He didn't understand a thing for about a month, but eventually he was laughing away. He says it was the easiest part of learning English.

I will get on that list for you.

Danielle

We do have 2 Spanish-language radio stations (and we've listened to it, though we tend to go more with cds of specific groups), but I haven't been able to find a Spanish-language tv channel that can be accessed without cable or satellite. We also have "La Noticia," a Spanish-language weekly paper that my husband picks up from time to time to practice his reading (he reads and speaks some Spanish).

Actually, I'm surprised I haven't been able to find something, but given that we've really not had a significant Spanish-speaking population in the area until very recently, perhaps the market has been skewed toward creating cable/satellite content rather than starting up a new regular broadcast station. It's only been in the last 15 years or so that we have seen our demographics change dramatically. The census showed 39,800 people identifying as Hispanic/Latino in 2000 in the local major county, which was an increase of 571% from 1990, and is still only 7.4% of the population. In NC overall, we had about 57,000 in 1980, about 77,000 in 1990, and then, by the 2000 census, we had gained an additional 368,000 and the increase has continued.

Some helpful byproducts of this are that she has plenty of opportunity to practice reading Spanish on signs, in the grocery store, etc and will have an opportunity to readily practice what she learns in conversation with native speakers (something I definitely didn't have when I took French;)). The local libraries are also continuing to build Spanish language collections (within the limits of their severely cut funding). I'll start asking around to see if anyone knows of a Spanish-language tv station available locally.

My kids have watched the Padrinos Magicos in spanish, and the translation is pretty good.

They are having a hard time coming up with movie recs, since Disney and Pixar dubbed movies tend to dominate. I will keep checking around.

Danielle