Menu

Wilkie Collins and Anna Karenina?

My dd is anxious to read Anna Karenina. I thought I might pair it with a Wilkie Collins novel: No Name, Armadale, The Woman in White, or The Moonstone. I have only read The Moonstone but enjoy the sly wit and feel that one of his novels with a more "subversive" heroine might supply an interesting contrast to Anna. For a short story, we will probably do "The Yellow Wallpaper."

Does this sound like a viable combination?

Also, a friend just told me to replace my Garnett translation for Pevear and that my dd will thank me. So what if she works from Pevear and I work from the Garnett? Will we make some valuable comparisons or will we just be frustrated at not being on the same page, literally?

ETA: Forgot to ask if Collins is "serious enough" if I get this approved for AP Lit.?

Edited by swimmermom3

I've only read The Moonstone, but I think it's a great book. You can talk a lot about the reliability of narrators with that one.

I read the Garnett translation of Crime and Punishment back in high school and loved it. My daughter started reading the Pevear translation and never got through it. My understanding about the Garnett translations is that she did a lot of rewriting and fairly massive editing. They aren't the original. It could be she made the book more readable, but I haven't read both, so it's only an idle hypothesis that I've come up with.

I googled ap literature moonstone and came up with a number of hits. Here's one where The Moonstone isn't on the main reading list, but is one of a number of other things suggested for student reading, so somebody must think it's literature:

http://www.phs.psd401.net/staff/documents/AP%20English%20syllabus%2008%2009.pdf

Here's a bit more on The Moonstone:

http://www.shmoop.com/the-moonstone/

I read all of Wilkie Collins in grad school. After The Moonstone, I probably liked Armadale best, but that's no guarantee it would strike a high school senior in the same way! One of his other books is called The Lady and the Law; it is sometimes pointed to as one of the earliest detective novels -- and that detective also happens to be a woman. It's a fun read.

Collins is a standard feature on many British Lit syllabi at the undergraduate college level, so I cannot see any reason whatever it would not be considered suitable for a high school course.

And I love, love, love The Yellow Wallpaper. It's one of the creepiest stories I ever read. I envy your daughter getting to read all these terrific books for the first time. My dd will read The Moonstone -- in fact, she's getting the audiobook for Christmas. But she probably won't read the others on your list, as they are socially realistic fiction and as an Aspie, she is not attracted to books like that and/or finds them emotionally perplexing. Will you tell us how your dd responds so we can enjoy it vicariously?

I just read The Yellow Wallpaper yesterday (hooray for Kindle!) and loved it. I downloaded What Diantha Did to read next, and I'm saving Herland for a Utopia/Dytopia reading binge next year.

I'm trying to convince myself to read Anna Karenina for the 2011 "52/52" challenge, so I'm :bigear: on the translation question.

Jackie

I've only read The Moonstone, but I think it's a great book. You can talk a lot about the reliability of narrators with that one.

I read the Garnett translation of Crime and Punishment back in high school and loved it. My daughter started reading the Pevear translation and never got through it. My understanding about the Garnett translations is that she did a lot of rewriting and fairly massive editing. They aren't the original. It could be she made the book more readable, but I haven't read both, so it's only an idle hypothesis that I've come up with.

I googled ap literature moonstone and came up with a number of hits. Here's one where The Moonstone isn't on the main reading list, but is one of a number of other things suggested for student reading, so somebody must think it's literature:

http://www.phs.psd401.net/staff/documents/AP%20English%20syllabus%2008%2009.pdf

Here's a bit more on The Moonstone:

http://www.shmoop.com/the-moonstone/

Thanks so much for the links. I was too lazy last night to go find my complete AP list but yes, Collins won't be issue. I will have to do some more research between Garnett and Pevear. My ancient paperbacks from college were chosen because they were in stock in the bookstore, not necessarily because they were the "best" translation. I am primarily concerned with accessibility this year.

The issue regarding the narrators is part of what makes The Moonstone appealing. I know my dd would enjoy the language.

I read all of Wilkie Collins in grad school. After The Moonstone, I probably liked Armadale best, but that's no guarantee it would strike a high school senior in the same way! One of his other books is called The Lady and the Law; it is sometimes pointed to as one of the earliest detective novels -- and that detective also happens to be a woman. It's a fun read.

Collins is a standard feature on many British Lit syllabi at the undergraduate college level, so I cannot see any reason whatever it would not be considered suitable for a high school course.

And I love, love, love The Yellow Wallpaper. It's one of the creepiest stories I ever read. I envy your daughter getting to read all these terrific books for the first time. My dd will read The Moonstone -- in fact, she's getting the audiobook for Christmas. But she probably won't read the others on your list, as they are socially realistic fiction and as an Aspie, she is not attracted to books like that and/or finds them emotionally perplexing. Will you tell us how your dd responds so we can enjoy it vicariously?

Karen, maybe I will just reshuffle my themes and use The Moonstone. You are the one responsible for me reading The Yellow Wallpaper and I would agree that it is one of the more unnerving stories I have read. Hmmm. Poe, Perkins, and A Turn of the Screw? Followed by satire, of course.:tongue_smilie:

I just read The Yellow Wallpaper yesterday (hooray for Kindle!) and loved it. I downloaded What Diantha Did to read next, and I'm saving Herland for a Utopia/Dytopia reading binge next year.

I'm trying to convince myself to read Anna Karenina for the 2011 "52/52" challenge, so I'm :bigear: on the translation question.

Jackie

Thanks, Jackie. I finally get my Amazon cart emptied and you and Karen Anne start the frenzy all over again.:D

I am reading No Name for the first time now. I agree regarding The Moonstone.

I am a HUGE Pevear fan. Great translation!

Polly, you mean you think we should read The Moonstone? Should I add No Name to our shelves?

What is it about Pevear that you like? I will probably stick to the idea of using both translations and if it makes me crazy, I have access to a second copy of Pevear for loan.

Oh! I'm sorry! :001_smile:

I meant I agree on The Moonstone and discussing the reliability of the narrators. I am not very far into No Name yet, but I'm enjoying it! And, The Woman in White is one of our favorite books here. My dd's each asked for their own copy for Christmas. :)

I had attempted Anna Karenina, twice, in my young adult years. It was drudgery. A couple of years ago, someone recommended that I read the Pevear translation. It was the first time that I completed it and ENJOYED it. Of course, there are always things lost in translation, but after reading Pevear's notes on Tolstoy and his writing style, I felt that so much more of the author came through. The story itself is quite rich. :)

That is just my personal opinion. :)

I recently purchased Pevear's translation of The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. I am looking forward to it!