Menu

Dry scalp remedies?

We had a terrible time for a long time and I finally went to the dermatologist and got medecine. Life is much better now.

I'm hoping to avoid that, but will if I can't find anything else to help. Thanks! Did you try an apple cider vinegar rinse? I've heard that may help.

My son's scalp is so dry. I've got him using shampoo once a week, at most, or sometimes just a dab of conditioner (so he says :001_smile:), and still, his scalp just flakes.

What are your tried and true remedies? Shampoo recommendations? :bigear:

I would try a shampoo that doesn't contain sodium laureth sulfate. Find a natural one, preferably one with skin conditioners.

Jason brand has several varieties, and is available at health food stores, and some grocery stores.

I use Traite shampoo, from Mastey. I order it online at http://www.mastey.com

It is good for hair and skin, so I use it as a body wash as well as shampoo. I feels creamy going on, has a very light scent, is moisturizing.

Someone posted not too long ago, looking for sulfate-free shampoos. I'll see if I can find the thread, and edit this one with the link.

ETA: Here's the link to recommendations:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224768&highlight=sulfate+free+shampoo

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

I would try a shampoo that doesn't contain sodium laureth sulfate. Find a natural one, preferably one with skin conditioners.

Jason brand has several varieties, and is available at health food stores, and some grocery stores.

I use Traite shampoo, from Mastey. I order it online at www.mastey.com

It is good for hair and skin, so I use it as a body wash as well as shampoo. I feels creamy going on, has a very light scent, is moisturizing.

Someone posted not too long ago, looking for sulfate-free shampoos. I'll see if I can find the thread, and edit this one with the link.

ETA: Here's the link to recommendations:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224768&highlight=sulfate+free+shampoo

I wondered about trying a natural shampoo. Thanks for the link!

I just thought of something else.

My dd had huge problems with scalp flaking when she was your son's age. We used Neutrogena T-Gel (a dandruff shampoo) for a long time to control it. It helped a little, but I finally realized that she just wasn't washing her head properly. She was just getting a little shampoo and smearing it, flat fingered and wimpily, over her hair (la-dee-da-dee-da). She wasn't getting all her hair clean, and she certainly wasn't scrubbing her scalp well enough to loosen dead skin. I had to show her, in an exaggerated fashion, over and over again, how to really dig in with those fingertips (not nails) to scrub every inch of her head. It took a long time for her to catch on, but she finally does a good job now, at 14. :o) Oh, and she doesn't need dandruff shampoo anymore. I don't think she ever really needed it.

I'm not sure this applies to your son. I don't imagine a boy, especially if he has short hair, would have a phobia of scrubbing his head. I just thought I'd mention it.

It might be like cradle cap, in which case a dandruff shampoo will help. Neutrogena T-Gel 2-in-1 has a nice smell, if you want to try it.