Menu

I want my son's PSAT scores

choirfarm

Grin.. I love your siggy: reading for fun not AR points!!

That is a pet peeve of mine. I cannot tell you how many of my friends' children won't read something because it isn't on the aR list!!!

Christine

Amen! It ruined my kids! Oldest DD still is reluctant and I tell her that I don't care if she reads Stinky John Jones as long as she reads 30 minutes:glare:. Hopefully she will come around. There is a cell phone hanging in the balance. I hate to resort to bribery.....

Our school has the results in, but when I asked how our students did, they said they hadn't even looked at them yet. We're doing local testing this week, so my guess is they won't give scores back until after the Christmas break.

Their general attitude is that the PSAT is no big deal, but then again, we rarely get a commended student much less a NMSF, so perhaps it isn't a big deal. I'm glad that as a homeschooler my guy's scores were sent to my mailbox. The suspense would be killing me.

What are AR points?

I'm not holding my breath that we'll get the PSAT scores before Christmas. The counselor said *maybe* the week before (eg: the 20th - ), so I'm guessing it will be after New Years.

Bleh.

a

If I remember correctly is stands for Accelerated REader. You read a book and it is worth so many points. You then take a computerized test and your score on the book will tell you how many points you get. In elementary school they get prizes. In 3rd grade my oldest got to pick one person to take to a pizza place for being one of the top readers and he picked his brother!

What I really hate is when they get to middle school ( one reason I wanted to homeschool). They give them some kind of test and that determines how much they should be able to read. Then they tell them they must get so many points and it is part of their English grade. So if you read quickly and well, then you have to get A LOT more points and on top of all the other projects (every class has one), the advanced students have trouble getting all their reading in. So there is no way they will pick something not on the list to read as they have enough trouble reading what they have to. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

Christine

If I remember correctly is stands for Accelerated REader. You read a book and it is worth so many points. You then take a computerized test and your score on the book will tell you how many points you get. In elementary school they get prizes. In 3rd grade my oldest got to pick one person to take to a pizza place for being one of the top readers and he picked his brother!

What I really hate is when they get to middle school ( one reason I wanted to homeschool). They give them some kind of test and that determines how much they should be able to read. Then they tell them they must get so many points and it is part of their English grade. So if you read quickly and well, then you have to get A LOT more points and on top of all the other projects (every class has one), the advanced students have trouble getting all their reading in. So there is no way they will pick something not on the list to read as they have enough trouble reading what they have to. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

Christine

:iagree:I heard exactly this from our local librarian. I am glad ds is not experiencing that.