Menu

One year world history

ga girl

I am looking for a solid 1 year world history for my ds, 11 and 13. SL has a condensed version of cores 6 & 7, but uses CHOW as the spine. This seems juvenile and I remember liking SOTW so much better. Is SOTW too young? Can all 4 vol. be done in one year? I want my 8th grader to begin Ancients once he's in 9th grade, so don't want to beat a dead horse with too indepth. However, I want my 6th grader to get a good grasp before world geography in 7th grade. Any suggestions?

I am looking for a solid 1 year world history for my ds, 11 and 13. SL has a condensed version of cores 6 & 7, but uses CHOW as the spine. This seems juvenile and I remember liking SOTW so much better. Is SOTW too young? Can all 4 vol. be done in one year? I want my 8th grader to begin Ancients once he's in 9th grade, so don't want to beat a dead horse with too indepth. However, I want my 6th grader to get a good grasp before world geography in 7th grade. Any suggestions?

We're using cores 6 & 7 to make a quick 2 year trip through history, and we're loving it. They add in so many other books that CHOW wouldn't bother me in Alt7. My boys have commented that this is our best history year ever.

But is it as FUN as SOTW?

I don't think it would be as fun as SOTW. If you don't like CHOW, could you skip through SOTW if it's too long to do all 4 in one year? Look at the sections you would do in CHOW, then only do those in the SOTW volumes. It might make it more doable. It seems that it would be easy to switch a spine out with something else.

Instead of using CHOW as a spine, you could use A Little History of the World by E.H. Gombrich. It isn't nearly as detailed as SOTW and I would think it would be easy to get through in a year. Its not as juvenile as CHOW and I've heard many good things with it. Add in Genevieve Foster's books and other books that sonlight schedules and I think you'd have a great year.

TRISMS looks wonderful! Thank you! Would I need to buy the History Makers, Resource starter set and the Resource set?

I'm just starting this myself, which is why I suggested it. It's research based, so you can use any resource books you like or already have. I'm using encyclopedia Britannica cd & online. Our library system gives us free access to the online version. I bought the cd edition here http://www.amazon.com/Topics-Entertainment-Learning-Best-selling-Software/dp/B0020R2I1K We LOVE the Spelling Accelerator that comes with it.

Hope that helped! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. Also, I bought the old clearance edition, because I'm cheap! Witht he cd rom that comes with it, the questionnaires are on it, I copy and pasted them into open office, so my son can type in the answers.

Kim

I'm just starting this myself, which is why I suggested it. It's research based, so you can use any resource books you like or already have. I'm using encyclopedia Britannica cd & online. Our library system gives us free access to the online version. I bought the cd edition here http://www.amazon.com/Topics-Entertainment-Learning-Best-selling-Software/dp/B0020R2I1K We LOVE the Spelling Accelerator that comes with it.

Hope that helped! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. Also, I bought the old clearance edition, because I'm cheap! Witht he cd rom that comes with it, the questionnaires are on it, I copy and pasted them into open office, so my son can type in the answers.

Kim

Kim,

Are you using the IEW version or stand alone? Are the questions plenty or do your children need to outline?

Connie,

Both versions of History Makers comes with the IEW lessons, on the "old" version it's on the cd and you have to print it. It contains the article needed for the assignment.

Example Lesson 1 says Using the paragraphs below, make a key word outline. Retell the story to someone in your own words using your key word outline. Below that is a three paragraph article on The Phoenicians, credited to Silver Burdett Press

Other lessons tell you to view IEW DVD# Unit # and Review IEW Syllabus pages #-## Then, has the directions for the lesson like the above Lesson 1. It does add nice little notes, like remember to double space, things like that.

I'm going to order the IEW Sylabus from IEW , also you can order the American History Source cd-rom for $9 ( its on clearance), that comes with a bonus student pages download. I'm getting all of my resources together now, to start in January. I do supplement outlining, but I don't know if it's strictly necessary or not. I use Imitation in Writing Aesop's Fables.

The Trisms yahoo group has a lot of information in the Files section.

Kim