Menu

Teaching Textbooks or MUS?

Sue G in PA

My ds12 hates Saxon 8/7. :glare: He does well with it as far as getting the answers correct and understanding the material. He just hates it. I thought more interaction with me was the answer but even when I sit with him and demonstrate the material he rolls his eyes and moans. So, I am considering a switch to either Teaching Textbooks or back to MUS. Can anyone give me any feedback on TT? It looks great...except the cost. Of course, MUS isn't cheap, either. Also looking into TT for ds9 who is getting tired of Singapore. Well..he's another issue entirely anyway...but any feedback on TT would be appreciated. Tnx.

I already posted today that I wish my middle ds had stayed with Saxon. I also said if math ain't broke, don't try to fix it. If he is doing well with Saxon, instead of switching programs maybe you could jazz up Saxon by adding the Art Reed dvd.

OTOH- if you decide to switch, definitely do a placement test.

HTH-

Mandy

Hi,

I have been through the MUS vs. TT dilema also. My 4th grader used saxon at school fm K-2nd grade and it was tears for the both of us. I got a recommendation for MUS from a friend and what a difference. (of coarse with homeschooling- the 1 on 1 time helped and the fact that he is a very visual learner) This year I considered TT for fourth grade until two other friends, one with a daughter using TT and the other with a son using R&S in the same grade both switched to Chalkdust. The girl using TT had to go down a level and the boy using the R&S stayed at grade level. Both of them are in the 9th grade and equally smart. I am sticking to what works!

Also, another friend that is using TT for 5th grade, could not get over how her son did the 1st five lessons in one sitting. Something just does not add up.

We've always used MUS but this year I decided to supplement with TT because it's computer-based and I wanted them to see math presented in a different way. While I love the idea of TT, I have to confess that I am a little disappointed it's not more challenging. My 4th grader is breezing through TT 6 and my 2nd grader is doing the same with TT 4 (he probably could have handled TT 5.) They have a great concept but a decent math student would probably be bored so I probably wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone program.

We struck out with Saxon four times. I know it's a rock solid program. I just don't think math needs to be *that* dry. I found it hard to teach, too--too classroomish. The only one of my kids who was successful with Saxon was the one who self-taught.

DD10 uses TT Pre-Al and Life of Fred, she switched from Saxon 76. Fred is super fun for her, and it helps her with application. I like TT because some kids do better reading out of the book and some do better watching the DVD. We are getting TT3 for DD7, we did one of the sample lessons online and I think having the explanations incorporated into the lesson will really help her. I think she tends to do the problem wrong and then that sticks in her mind, and then I have to retrain her to get the right answer, if that makes sense.

DS and DD5 are using MUS. It's great for them to have the hands-on learning. I don't think we'll stick with it long-term, probably just through division.

My Dd is math-phobic and this is our first year homeschooling (though I was a PS teacher for 10 years...so I know the PS curriculum). I chose to slow down and let her regain some confidence by using TT 4, and she always does two lessons per day. Now, my Ds(6) is "mathy" and I started him with Right Start, which we both love...however, oddly enough, BOTH of my kids want to ALSO do the other child's math program!!!! So I have found myself ordering RS Transition Lessons and Level E for my Dd and TT3 for my son!

So, that was very long-winded of me when I basically want to say that we are now using TT and Right Start for both kids.

Phew!

Val