Menu

Do You Have a Good Navy Bean Soup Recipe?

Mine is similar to Parrothead's except I add some thyme and a bit of sage to my pot along with the salt and pepper. It's the ham hock that really gives it that great flavour, though.

Are you starting with dried or canned beans? I prefer the dried (soaked overnight) because the long cooking process with the ham hock builds such a better flavour base than when using canned beans (which can't take the long cooking too well since they're, essentially, already cooked).

ETA: I serve my navy bean soup with biscuits, not corn bread. Different strokes for different Southern folks. ;)

The best soups always have homemade chicken broth, IMO.

To a pot of chicken broth I add a lb of dry navy beans, chopped onion, bay leaf (removed after beans are cooked) and garlic to taste. When the beans are cooked I add salt & pepper to taste.

Depending on my mood. . . . . I either just slightly mash the beans to get a coarse texture or I use the immersion blender to make it smooooooooth.

Add leftover cooked chicken

1 can of drained diced tomatoes. I like the ones that have green chilies for a bit of a kick.

Voila!

My father was from Kentucky and used to make delicious navy bean soup. I don't know if there is anything different about how people might make it in Kentucky, but I am wondering if you have a recipe you like, regardless of whether it comes from KY or not.

Thanks!

I've been using this recipe from realsimple.com, and the whole family likes it:

Bean & Bacon Soup

4 strips bacon

1 lg. carrot, thinly sliced

2 stalks celery, diced

1 medium onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, diced

2 - 15 1/2 oz. cans great Northern beans, drained

2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley

kosher salt & black pepper

Directions

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool, then break into pieces.

2. Return the saucepan to medium heat, add the carrot to the pan drippings, and cook for 5 minutes.

3. Add the celery, onion, and garlic, stirring well and cooking for 3 minutes more.

4. Add the beans and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.

5. Uncover and, with a potato masher or large slotted spoon, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly.

6. Stir in the parsley, 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and bacon.