Menu

Just got Sentence Composing...scheduling/sequence??

Mommyfaithe

We haven't started yet, but I bought both also. I think I'm going to start with Sentence Composing. I think I remember someone on the Killgallon thread saying it was a bit easier than the Story Grammar, and that it also introduced the proper grammar terms. I haven't worked out our scheduling, but right now I'm leaning towards 2 practice activities per week - we were going to work in the books 2x a week, so I'm thinking one (or two, depending on how short/long each practice/activity is) per day would work for mine. But mine are younger than yours, so it's probably less than what you'd want to do per day/week.

Hey Faithe, I did this with my 7th grader and he did 2 pages/day; we worked on it every day.

We went through Sentence Composing before Story Grammar.

I also have to mention a book that KarenAnne recommended that is a perfect complement to Killgallon. I cannot stress how wonderful this book is! http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Editing-Jeff-Anderson/dp/1571107096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291761509&sr=8-1

Hey Faithe, I did this with my 7th grader and he did 2 pages/day; we worked on it every day.

We went through Sentence Composing before Story Grammar.

I also have to mention a book that KarenAnne recommended that is a perfect complement to Killgallon. I cannot stress how wonderful this book is! http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Editing-Jeff-Anderson/dp/1571107096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291761509&sr=8-1

PERFECT!! Thank you so much....

Now to check out the other book....and MCT. My dd LOVES CLE, but then saw Sentence Composing...and she is hooked! What can I say...the kid loves Grammar :D

Faithe

• 1 month later...

Can I ask with regards to the Everyday Editing book by Jeff Anderson, do I need one per student? Do they write in them?

Also, I don't have Sentence Composing yet, but will be ordering it for next school year. Is there a general amount of sentences that people work on several times a week? What has worked for everyone as far as scheduling?

Thanks so much - SaDonna

I haven't used SC for Elementary but from the preview it looks easier than Story Grammar. I am planning to start my younger kids in it.

With Story Grammar last year and now Middle School Grammar this semester, I'm having my student do 1 section (1/2 page to 1 page) at a time. With SG, we did it every day but this semester my DD is doing more in the way of LA so I'm scheduling MSG twice per week.

Can I ask with regards to the Everyday Editing book by Jeff Anderson, do I need one per student? Do they write in them?

Also, I don't have Sentence Composing yet, but will be ordering it for next school year. Is there a general amount of sentences that people work on several times a week? What has worked for everyone as far as scheduling?

Thanks so much - SaDonna

I think Everyday Editing is a resource book to give you ideas about how to approach the teaching of writing.