Menu

weight loss, body shape, aging??

Here's the situation. I'm slowly but steadily losing weight. I know this time of year, I won't have great losses in weight, but I'm happy with the slow progress I've been making with the scale. I feel better too. I'm close enough to goal weight that if I don't lose anymore pounds, I'll be content where I am. I'm happy with my workout routine and smaller portions. That is the good news.

Now, the other side of the coin. My clothes from last winter just do not fit as nicely as they did last year even though I weigh less. My body shape has changed. I'm also nearly 49 and I started hormones last spring. The midwife said body shape does change around menopause and it is perfectly normal. She said to just keep exercising and good eating for overall health, and embrace this season of change. Okay......

Anyone else experiencing this??

Oh yeah.(46 here)

I weigh less than my 15 y.o.~yet she has a cute hourglass figure and...I don't, lol!

Weight settling in different parts of my body was discouraging at first, but I'm just using it as motivation to keep eating right and exercising...cause if I don't then I'll really be a mess.:lol:

I will turn 49 at the end of this month. I had my only child at 41, and gained a lot of weight after that. Over the last two years I've been slowly losing the weight and am feeling really good about my body.

Then, last week, I tried to fit into my wedding dress (from 12 years ago). Even though I'm around the same weight as then, my body has changed a lot. I couldn't get the back zipped up at all. I think it's because when I got married, I had little upper body strength and small back muscles. Now I swim, so I've developed muscles. Hence, the dress doesn't fit.

I also tried on some of my pants from way back. They don't fit around the middle, even though I'm the same weight. My body shape has changed. I just have to get used to it.

I'm trying to be in the best shape I can be for the stage I'm in. I'm not going to try to regain my 30-year old body. I'm happy with where I am.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep up the great work!

Thanks again! It has recently occurred to me that most of my gf are much younger than I am. This is mainly due to the age and activities of my dc since I had them a bit later in life. That is okay, I enjoy the company of these ladies. But, they are not experiencing midlife changes as I am. It is good to hear from my peers what they are experiencing........

I think one of the problems is losing muscle mass as we get older. Two months ago, I started working out at a gym (doing weights and cardio) and supplementing with whey protein to build muscle. I really think it's key for losing weight and keeping it off. If you've lost 5-10 lbs. of muscle since you were young, then even if you lost weight (and if you're not careful, some of the weight you're losing is more muscle), you'd still be bigger if you are carrying more fat and less muscle (fat takes up more room per pound than muscle). Plus, muscle burns calories even at rest; fat does not. So the less muscle you have, the lower your metabolic rate (and calorie needs); eating the same as you did in your 20s will make you fat in your 40s, unless you're getting regular muscle-building exercise. It's very possible to not be overweight but still be overfat. (I'm both right now, but I'm working on it!)

I'm not nutrition/fitness expert, but I've been reading up on this a lot since joining the gym. I wanted to make sure my trainer knew what he was talking about, and he does!

Wendi