Menu

Nativity Story Scripture Copywork - Our new tradition

ReidFamily

I am excited about a new tradition that we are starting in our family this year.

My daughter adores copywork. It is her favorite subject. We are going to begin doing copywork from St Luke covering the Nativity Story from Ch 2: 1-16. I am breaking down the 16 verses to cover 24 days so that we will complete it on Christmas Eve.

My daughter is going to copy one verse per day with some of the longer verses being broken up over several days. Then, each day, we will cut out the verse that she copied and paste it to a poster-board. We'll then read as much of the story that we have each day until we finish at verse 16. My daughter is so excited to start. We'll be doing 2 days worth today since we just created the idea today.

I have all of the copywork sheets made up if anyone else is interested in doing this. I can upload the file when I get home since I saved all of the PDF's to our home computer.

I figure as she gets older we'll add in additional verses or cover the nativity story from other books in the Bible as well. Additionally, we'll try for dictation or writing from memory when she's older.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Our family re-enacts the Nativity story every Christmas as well so this will be a nice activity to lead up to it on Christmas day.

UPDATE:

Here are the links. Unfortunately they are not all combined onto one PDF. I don't have the time to figure out how to do that. If anyone knows how to do it please go ahead and then we can update the thread with a consolidated pdf. I am also including a picture of the chart we put together today.

These are scriptures for Luke Chapter 2 verses 1-16. They are taken from the King James Version of the Bible. When you print them, only print page 1. Page 2 is not necessary. Some of the copywork is a lot longer than others. I did it this way because I didn't want to break up verses to where they trailed off right in the middle plus my daughter really, really loves copywork. She does both sentences in WWE and always wants to do more. :)

We also plan on reading the story vs 1-16 every day so that she is very familiar with the story as a whole from the beginning and not just as we complete it. We're going to read it for the first time tomorrow because she convinced me we needed to finish a Magic Tree House book. ;)

Day One

Day Two

Day Three

Day Four

Day Five

Day Six

Day Seven

Day Eight

Day Nine

Day Ten

Day Eleven

Day Twelve

Day Thirteen

Day Fourteen

Day Fifteen

Day Sixteen

Day Seventeen

Day Eighteen

Day Nineteen

Day Twenty

Day Twenty-one

Day Twenty-two

Day Twenty-there

Day Twenty-four

Tips for cutting the versus out. I took a ruler and connected the indents on the descender line and had her cut the top line and then the newly formed descender line. We just threw everything together on some black card stock poster-board. In the coming years when we plan ahead I'm sure we'll come up with something a bit more fancy. Camden added a picture of baby Jesus. She wanted to do Mary and Joseph too but I decided there might not be enough room. The pictures below show the first 2 days.

P.S. Baby Jesus is not on fire, he is laying in hay (with a pink blanket). LOL

051-5.jpg

053-4.jpg

061-5.jpg

063-6.jpg

Edited by ReidFamily

:001_smile: Jessica,

This is awesome! We started copying Psalm 100 before Thanksgiving but I'm LAME and didn't think of it soon enough so we didn't have time to complete it. Next year . . .

I like the idea of cutting it out to put on a posterboard! She may just have it memorized by Christmas.

Wonderful idea, thank you!!:thumbup:

We are going to be moving at the end of the month so all school stopped...this is torture for my 6yr old who has done school work everyday since she was 30 months. She keeps asking me for work....this will interest her. The poster idea will have her memorizing this passage by Christmas.

Wonderful idea, thank you!!:thumbup:

We are going to be moving at the end of the month so all school stopped...this is torture for my 6yr old who has done school work everyday since she was 30 months. She keeps asking me for work....this will interest her. The poster idea will have her memorizing this passage by Christmas.

I'm glad it will help you! I think my daughter will memorize it as well. But I'm not sure since this will be the longest attempt we've made at memorizing anything. Well, besides songs of course.