Menu

Hotel and Bedbug Confusion

Hi there,

First, thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement about dd's Westminster qualification. We're all still kind of in shock. Get this--the woman who owned Danika's father called last night. I'm not close with her, but have kept her updated on Dani and Molly's successes and shared funny stories with her over the years. She was so thrilled that her late boy's daughter was going to compete in breed at Westminster that she and her daughters are flying out from Seattle to attend the show and cheer us on. We are really so touched. Dh, dd and I have been blubbering for days, so overcome with gratitude for the outpouring of support we've recieved both in real life and in our breed world.

So ANYWAY...

Now we're looking at booking a hotel in the city. The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show has very strict benching requirements so while we often go to NYC from our home in western CT, we always do day trips. Now we're looking for a hotel on the list of approved hotels that Westminster sent us. Of course, our first stop is bedbugregistry.com as well as others that track bed bug reports. We are growing more and more confused. Some reports make us recoil in horror, some say "no problemo!" Which to believe? Do you think if we called the hotels we'd actually get a truthful answer? Any tips? Molly can't go into the ring covered in welts! :eek: And I DO NOT WANT TO BRING THEM HOME AS SOUVENIRS!! :ack2:

Any advice?

astrid (PETRIFIED OF BEDBUGS!!!)

I hope someone gives you a good answer. My nephew and his wife went to Philadelphia for their anniversary and stayed in a hotel - wish I knew which one but the name escapes me - and brought back bedbugs in their luggage. They nested in the living room couch and once they realized they had them, they weren't able to get rid of the little buggers until they took the couch to the dump. UGH...

Is this on the Consumer's Report website? I don't know if it falls under any categories of things they rank but I've found them to be pretty accurate with their reports.

Faith

I think the reason that you are getting both answers about the same hotel is 1) some rooms may be infested and some totally fine and 2) a hotel may have taken care of any problem they've had.

I don't think there is any way to truly find out in advance if bedbugs would be a problem. A hotel which has had no problem may have had a guest "leave" them and not yet know that everything is not fine. A hotel which *had* them a month ago may be fine now. They are expensive to get rid of not impossible to get rid of.

I think what's more important is to check *your* room carefully when you get there and request another one if there are bedbugs. Checking is not hard. Check before you bring your luggage in the room.

I think the reason that you are getting both answers about the same hotel is 1) some rooms may be infested and some totally fine and 2) a hotel may have taken care of any problem they've had.

I don't think there is any way to truly find out in advance if bedbugs would be a problem. A hotel which has had no problem may have had a guest "leave" them and not yet know that everything is not fine. A hotel which *had* them a month ago may be fine now. They are expensive to get rid of not impossible to get rid of.

I think what's more important is to check *your* room carefully when you get there and request another one if there are bedbugs. Checking is not hard. Check before you bring your luggage in the room.

And your dog!! :scared:

Astrid, do you absolutely have to stay in a hotel dictated by the Kennel Club?

I haven't been hearing of bedbug reports for bed and breakfast type establishments. Could you find something independent? With the owner living in close proximity to the rooms he/she rents, I would imagine that they know if they have a problem and irradicate it quickly since it affects them personally.

Faith

Astrid, do you absolutely have to stay in a hotel dictated by the Kennel Club?

I haven't been hearing of bedbug reports for bed and breakfast type establishments. Could you find something independent? With the owner living in close proximity to the rooms he/she rents, I would imagine that they know if they have a problem and irradicate it quickly since it affects them personally.

Faith

Hi Faith,

No, I don't think it's a requirement, but the list they provide (Hotel Pennsylvania, for example) are hotels in the vicinity of Madison Square Garden which accept dogs for the event. It's not easy to find pet friendly hotels, especially in big cities. And ours is a big, hairy dog. Impeccably groomed and impeccably behaved (well, most of the time!:D) but a big dog nonetheless.

Thanks for the advice, though-- I hadn't thought of that!

astrid