Menu

must-read booklist to supplement ancient history for 10 yo boy

persephone43

Im putting together a booklist to supplement SOTW 1. I have the activity guide but I will be doing this with a 10 yob and most of the suggestions were a bit young. Any must reads for Egypt and Greece especially? (we probably wont get to Rome until summer/fall so that can wait). I will be doing some as read-alouds and others for independent reading. (looking for fiction mostly, but nf ideas are welcome). Looking for your favorites :)

Thanks!

I know you're looking more for logic stage books, but this was my post about our favorites for the grammar stage with SOTW1. Good luck. I know a lot of people have good SOTW book lists.

He is actully in 3rd grade and his reading level is about at that level. I am looking for ones he can read to himself as well as more mature books that I can read to him. This list is great! Thank you!

Keep 'em coming...:bigear:

We were all on the edge of our seats while reading it.

It has some mature content though - the main character has a step brother who is abusive to him, so it might be best as a read a loud unless your ds is fairly mature, and will talk with you about it while reading the book.

We also loved The Bronze Bow - again this would make an excellent read aloud; the audiobook version is also well done. (There is a very mild romantic theme in the book, but this is merely a subplot.)

We were all on the edge of our seats while reading it.

It has some mature content though - the main character has a step brother who is abusive to him, so it might be best as a read a loud unless your ds is fairly mature, and will talk with you about it while reading the book.

We also loved The Bronze Bow - again this would make an excellent read aloud; the audiobook version is also well done. (There is a very mild romantic theme in the book, but this is merely a subplot.)

I pre-read The Golden Goblet before ds (11) was to read it for our Ancient History studies and decided it would make an excellent read-aloud. I'm so glad we did it that way! Ds had me reading to him every night at bedtime and every morning before he got out of bed. He loved it!