Menu

money unit

DDR

In January, we're taking a 2-3 week break from our regularly scheduled program to do a unit study.

My son will have just finished MUS Alpha and I'm interested in focusing on money. He knows the names, but not much beyond that. Can you recommend any books, websites, or games that might be helpful for us?

Thanks!

I have an old blog post about money picture books here.

There's a Math Mammoth blue series book about money that might interest you if you wanted something sort of official to do. The Treasury Dept. and the Bureau of Printing and Engraving both have kids websites. Also, you need play money for this, right? We love our play money.

We played a money game that I will try to explain. :D

We took dice and rolled them. Let's say you got 18 (we used various types of dice). You got 18 cents from the till (used a divided platter for the money). You made up how you wanted your 18 cents. Then you looked at an index card that had four quarters outlined on them. You had to trade your money (after a few rounds) to get a quarter. Your quarter went on your card. First person to get 4 quarters was the winner.

That is the basic game. It can easily be expanded to using different bills, different combination of money, etc. PM me if you want more information or if this made absolutely no sense :tongue_smilie: