Menu

Help deciding where to stop MOH 1 and start MFW RtR.

athomemom

I dont' have an answer, but I was wondering why you are considering the switch? I'm doing HOD now, and considering moving to MOH for next year.

Well, *I* feel that we need more than MOH is giving us. It's a great program and I love the biblical weaving in of Bible with our history.

I am considering the move also because MFW has more years as my children get older and I can stay with one program if I choose to.

Which HOD program are you using? I have/am also considering it.

I have no experience with HOD or MOH, but we're using MFW RtR now. It starts with a VERY thorough study of the Roman period. The main spine during this time is Foster's Augustus Caesar's World, which starts with Rome's brief founding history, then heavily toward the end of Julius Caesar's life. I have no idea if that helps any, but I know at least that much.

The reason it's hard to figure out where to stop in MOH is that Rome is mentioned in several places. sigh I've tried to look at both MFW and MOH's Table of Contents to line them up, but I haven't been very successful. A dear friend mentioned perhaps around lesson 91? But I think Rome is also mentioned around lesson 43?

Prayer and guesstamation is what I'll have to go on. lol Yes, I don't think guesstamation is a word!:lol:

I think that I would go through lesson 93 and just skip lessons on Rome up to that point (L 43, 70, 91).

Except that those lessons are very brief, so even if the OP just reads them aloud and skips the activities.... Yeah, I think I agree with definitely not going past lesson 91 (which is covered in RTR), but the question is, how much of it to cover prior to that?

I'm thinking just doing the rest of the book as a read-aloud up to lesson 91 would be sufficient. Especially if you've done Ancients in the past, and plan to do it again in high school. Could read through the book in order to get the biblical perspective, though, and then if you hit upon a lesson or topic where you think stopping to do a map or notebook page would be beneficial, go ahead and do that.

MFW CtG ends with Alexander the Great. In MOH that's lesson 87. I think that would cover most of the OT history that I really want my children to hear woven in with regular ancient history.:D This is very doable for us, I hope, between now and the first of the year. MOH is a very easy read for us and I mainly wanted it to backtrack and cover ancients from a biblical standpoint.

I don't have a MOH1 book, but I can give you more information about how MFW RtoR begins.

Week one begins a study of the Founding of Rome and tells the story of Romulus and Remus (753 BC). You also study the Punic Wars and get background information about the Roman Republic. Usborne Ancient World and Streams of Civilization are the primary history resources that week. In Bible, you survey a few key passages from the New Testament to prepare a study using the book "How the Bible Came to Us." This book parallels beautiful with Ancient Roman studies.

Beginning in week 2, you start reading "Ausustus Caesar's World". This is a great book! The time period begins with about 49 BC, telling the story of Cleopatra and her son, Julius Caesar and Mark Antony. This book gives lots of detail. You continue reading it through week 9.

The study of Rome ends at the end of week 13. with a Roman Feast.

You spend about 5 weeks studying topics such as the Byzantine Empire, the Birth of Islam and details about the Arab world, Barbarians, and Vikings. Eaarly European leaders such as Charlemagne, Clovis and Augustine are studied during this time period also.

A study of the Middle Ages begins at about week 19.

Hope that helps!

I am really debating either HOD or MFW RtR. Currently, I am using MOH vol 1. If I decide to go with MFW RtR where should I stop our MOH? I am having a hard time figuring it out. Anyone else done this?

Thanks!

I am going to start MFW CtoG after Christmas Vacation. I have MOH 1 but just couldn't get into it. I am going to play the audio that I have of MOH while we are doing projects for the MFW. I didn't like some of the core books for HOD. Just me.