Menu

Culture/Zoology how do I do this?

Lovedtodeath

I posted about this a year ago and never started it. I want to take about 20 countries and study everything about them. Geography, climate, people, culture, animals.... What do I use for this? So far nothing I have seen comes close to pulling it all together. I am wanting to spend very little... $50 is what I am thinking. It looks like I will end up going to the library for each country and I don't want to. Any ideas?

except for the cost factor! And, MFW is Christian so I don't know if that is an issue. MFW ECC studies 15 countries/continents in depth...basically covering everything you mentioned! The included science is a study of habitats/biomes as you come across them in each country. For example, when you study Brazil...you study Rainforest. When you study Africa (Kenya), you study grasslands. It's everything you want...except it costs more than $50! We are doing this curriculum next year instead of history. I have my package, have looked over it and can't wait to start. We're going to start in May! You can pick up used curriculum on the MFW curriculum swap board which is where I purchased mine.

HTH. Other than that, I'm not sure what other program would cover all those areas AND have it all planned out for you! One idea is to try to find the ECC Teacher's Manual on a swap board and use that as your basis...it has lots of book recommendations that could get you started planning your own curriculum! I bet you could find one for $50!

Thanks... I am looking for one or two books that would cover it, or at least have a great deal of the information, like Animal Worlds or galloping the globe, but with more info. I was looking at MFW hoping I could order a couple of the books, but not the whole program. I don't need it planned out for me, I just don't want to run around getting separate books for every country. I already have a couple of animal encyclopedias.

Usborne nas this great Encyclopedia or World Geography you might want to look at. There is so much more than just countries. There is also a People and Culture book put out by Usborne. Try this if you just want a few books: Usbornes World Geography Encyclopedia and Usborne Book of People of the World for the geography and cultures component. Then, try to get your hands on the books, Wild Places and Living World Encyclopedia also by Usborne and in the ECC pack. With those, you could easily put together your own program....using Galloping the Globe as your basis, KWIM? HTH

:drool5: I love MFW and Winterpromise! I was wondering what Usborne had. I already have Wild Places from Sonlight. I really feel a strong need to cover modern culture first (not everyone speaking a different language is Chinese, not everyone who looks different is Mexican) before I start history.

So now I have a better list. I already have magazines with articles about National Parks. I am also trying to look at Material World and Children Like Me, Children from A to Z. I was really not happy with Galloping the Globe.

Now my problem is that I need to see samples before I spend my money. Bookstores never have what I want (but they can order it) I don't suppose you could watch my 12 month old at the library?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Carmen

Not quite sure of the age range you are wanting to teach, but a couple of resources that might be great for your study:

"A Life Like Mine: How Children Live Around the World", a DK/Unicef book

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Like-Mine-DK-Publishing/dp/0756618037/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208979053&sr=1-1

I noticed you mentioned the "Children Just Like Me" books (the regular one and the "Celebrations" one) -- those are fantastic. We absolutely love those here.

Another book is DK's "How People Live"

http://www.amazon.com/How-People-Live-Dena-Freeman/dp/0789498677/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1208979306&sr=11-1

or, a shorter, but similar book is "The Usborne Book of Peoples of the World" (internet-linked)

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Book-Peoples-World-Internet/dp/0794510256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208979779&sr=1-1

A simpler, but nice book (probably for PreK to 1st grades) is "Usborne's Children's Picture Atlas"

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Picture-Atlas/dp/0794506402/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208979407&sr=1-1

If you're looking to do some neat crafts or activities too, I suggest either:

"Hands Around the World: 365 Creative Ways to Encourage Cultural Awareness and Global Respect"

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Around-World-Encourage-Williamson/dp/0913589659/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208979606&sr=1-41

or

"Global Art"

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Art-Activities-Projects-Inventions/dp/087659190X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208979713&sr=1-1

If you're willing to buy used &/or paperback copies of books, I think you could pull all or most of these resources together for a reasonable cost. (Doable w/in your $50 limit, I think.)

Also, if you want to look before buying, you can always have Barnes & Noble or Borders order the book for you (if they don't have it in stock), then go spend some time at the bookstore looking through the books before buying. (You're under no obligation to buy even if you ask them to order it.) If you do buy the copies they order, don't forget your educator discount.

Have fun! We love geography.

Not quite sure of the age range you are wanting to teach, but a couple of resources that might be great for your study:

Also, if you want to look before buying, you can always have Barnes & Noble or Borders order the book for you (if they don't have it in stock), then go spend some time at the bookstore looking through the books before buying. (You're under no obligation to buy even if you ask them to order it.) If you do buy the copies they order, don't forget your educator discount.

Have fun! We love geography.

I am taping National Geographic and have great shows on India (tiger) and Uganda (Kobb) I am so excited. She is starting 1st grade, but has had 3 years of Kindergarten LOL. Turns 6 in July. Thank you for the bookstore idea. It's perfect!!