Menu

Feeling frustrated re: "consumables"

unity

This is my first vent here, but I could use a little commiseration. So I bought 2 copies of Tips and Tricks to Gothic Geometry to use with WinterPromise QMA, and the website said they were consumable...They so totally are NOT! At $14 a pop for a plastic bag full of a mostly black and white printout, I am sitting here stunned to realize there is nothing at all consumable about it. It's directions on how to make some of those figures, and kinda neat for the right kid I guess, but it's hard for me not to feel lied to when there is no reason at all they couldn't have shared this one. Grrrr. So now, when I see that in fact my kids are not going to use this after all (not their cup o' tea), I've actually wasted double the money.

:mad:

Thanks for listening. I'll go back to mostly lurking now. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I guess I could complain to WP. It's just that I bought it in March and am just now using it. Seems crazy to ask to return something or even complain so long after I bought it. I wish I had thoroughly examined everything.

I am trying to analyze why I don't want to write to complain, and I think it's because I've always felt kind a personal connection when doing business with them. I mean, the dad handles business calls, the daughter helps fill orders, and the mom writes the stuff. How can I call and gripe? But that's also why I feel so let down now, I think. Hey, I thought we were family and now you go and do this? kwim?

Also, I think I'm so used to getting curriculum and then having it not quite work out --- in which case of course I'm usually just out of luck --- it honestly didn't cross my mind to complain to the company. I suppose it couldn't hurt. I hate conflict, though.

Luckymama--aww, :blush: thanks. I have learned so much from people on this forum who don't even know they've helped me. The work I'm doing with my twins (all the humanities and history) is basically all derived from recommendations from this board, and with the exception of the history (when I went against the Hive and got WP) everything is going great, but I am not sure how much I can contribute that's new. Others who use, say, LLfLOTR or MCT generally respond quickly and thoroughly. But, ok, I'll try to chime in more. :001_smile:

My dh, though, could contribute a lot if he were into this sort of thing. He's doing the science/math portion of the schooling and I don't even understand what they're doing any more. Talk about lucky--he actually takes the boys for 2 or 3 hours every day to work on math, physics, and computer science.

Anyway, whatever happens with the Geometry stuff, I feel better knowing you all empathize. :001_smile:

I hate conflict, though.

I don't think you have to have conflict. A kind note letting them know that it'd be a good idea to list that item as non-consumable would help future purchasers. You don't have to ask for a refund (though they might offer one).

It doesn't have to be a "complaint" in a negative sense... just constructive criticism. :)

I don't think you have to have conflict. A kind note letting them know that it'd be a good idea to list that item as non-consumable would help future purchasers. You don't have to ask for a refund (though they might offer one).

It doesn't have to be a "complaint" in a negative sense... just constructive criticism. :)

Great approach! Think of it this way...if someone had mentioned this to WP in the past, they might have changed the wording & then you wouldn't have purchased extra. By you mentioning something now, you could be saving someone else the extra money they might spend needlessly.

If you never say anything, how will WP know how their wording affects their customers?

Merry :-)

Thank you, Merry and Boscopup. I took your approach and sent an extremely non-confrontational email with the feedback. While I was at it, I also talked about Illuminated Lettering, another book they label as consumable that really isn't.

I know they make a higher profit margin on self-published books, but I think they're not helping their business with this particular practice.

Thanks for giving me a way to constructively channel my feelings!