Menu

What to do for spelling and vocabulary?

DragonFaerie

My DD is in 3rd grade and is a "natural speller." She did 3rd grade spelling last year (in 2nd grade) so we started off with 4th this year. That proved too easy (100s on every test) so we changed to 5th grade word lists. I also started using the same word list for both spelling and vocabulary. She is still acing every spelling test with 100s and usually scores about 95 on the vocabulary portion.

So, here's my dilemma. I assign a spelling exercise and a vocabulary exercise each day. For example, on Mondays she writes each word 3x (spelling). She also looks up the first third of the words in the dictionary and writes the definition and a sentence with each one (vocabulary). She doesn't mind the work but she can never, NEVER come up with sentences for the words. When she does, they are impossibly simple and do not display an understanding of the meaning of the word. (She tried to put two spelling words into one sentence today: "My pupil is normal." UGh!) Now obviously she's learning what the words mean or she couldn't pass the tests so easily. But we are both coming to hate the sentences portion of the program. This week I changed it to writing a paragraph using 5 of the words but she says that's even harder to do.

Are there other exercises I can have her do instead of having to make up sentences or paragraphs? Should I just drop spelling and vocabulary altogether? :confused:

I wouldn't drop spelling and vocabulary but I would switch to Spelling Power (what I'm using with my oldest)or possibly Natural Speller (haven't used that one myself but I hear good things about it). Vocabulary I would do separately using either Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop or Michael Clay Thompson's Caesar's English.

I looked at Vocabulary Workshop but can't afford it right now. I'll have to check Caesar's English. However, I really don't want her having to work with two separate word lists. She is using Zaner-Bloser Spelling Connections, 5th grade. Those lists are free so I can always bump her up to the 6th grade lists if need be. But I could really use some suggestions for different activities rather than writing sentences.

I looked at Vocabulary Workshop but can't afford it right now. I'll have to check Caesar's English. However, I really don't want her having to work with two separate word lists. She is using Zaner-Bloser Spelling Connections, 5th grade. Those lists are free so I can always bump her up to the 6th grade lists if need be. But I could really use some suggestions for different activities rather than writing sentences.

I would use Spelling Power with her as well. If you wanted to keep using the ZB lists, then you might want to look at SpellingCity.com. I would drop the creative writing portion and use the games at Spelling City to reinforce.

I like Dynamic Literacy for vocabulary.

The games at Spelling City are mainly to teach spelling. She has no problem with spelling. What I need are vocabulary exercises. She's looking the words up in the dictionary but what else can we do to reinforce meanings and usage (besides writing sentences)?

Have her tell you a story using as many words as she can. Or do a round robin story, where you each add on to the other's story.

Also, if you google Free Crossword puzzle maker, you could make your own crossword puzzles.

You might be able to make use of Quizlet.com.

Most importantly, talk about the words. Have a word of the day and see who can use it the most. It doesn't have to be a formal subject at her age.

Edited by JudoMom