Menu

Not-to-expensive place to stay in Paris?

A friend has offered her cottage in Normandy for us to holiday at Easter. We'll be flying to Paris anyway, so we thought we might do a a couple of days in the city at the beginning. I know Paris fairly well, but any specific accommodation tips would be appreciated.

Laura

This is where we stayed in Oct '09~~ there are 4 of us. http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p401120 It's in the 2nd arrondissement and there are 106 or 107 stairs (inside) from the street to the apartment... no lift. ;)

The Ritz it wasn't (linens & futon were on the old side), but it was clean enough and near enough to everything that we would stay here again.... the people were very nice to deal with and we had no issues at all. There are markets, patisseries, and a wonderful creperie nearby, as well as a short walk to several metro stations.

We usually stay in the 10th or 11th arrondisment. It's close to the Gare du Nord and Gare de L'est (easy transport from the airports too). The area is nice and not too expensive.

How long will you be in Normandy? We LOVE Normandy! I would happily live in Bayeux. It is the cutest little town. Be sure to go there and see the tapestry if you haven't yet. You can see the photos from our trip here if you like.

We usually stay in the 10th or 11th arrondisment. It's close to the Gare du Nord and Gare de L'est (easy transport from the airports too). The area is nice and not too expensive.

How long will you be in Normandy? We LOVE Normandy! I would happily live in Bayeux. It is the cutest little town. Be sure to go there and see the tapestry if you haven't yet. You can see the photos from our trip here if you like.

We'll be in Normandy for a week as well. I did see the tapestry, but I'd like to take husband and the boys.

Laura

In May, my dd & I stayed at the Balladines in the northern part of Paris.

Easy walking distance to the Metro. Near the station where we arrived after taking the Chunnel (Gard d'Nord?).

$60 for us both, for 1 room, 1 night. Bathroom inside the room, as I recall. It was on the 3rd floor & we had a great overlook on the city street below. Lots of short-order international restaurants on the 3 blocks surrounding--we had a hard time finding French cuisine (ended up with quiche from a bakery).

We were on a tight budget, but wanted to be in a REASONABLY safe neighborhood. (I wouldn't have stayed out TOO late here!)

Balladins Paris 19

219 rue Crimée

75019 PARIS

Tel : + 33 (0)1 40 38 91 00

Fax : + 33 (0)1 40 38 44 23

http://www.balladins.eu/fiche_hotel.php?id=50

Photos on this website are accurate--the furnishings were a BIT older.

Location is marked with a "b" on the map:

http://www.balladins.eu/recherche_par_lieu.php

This is a chain, but we felt French-ish staying here!

(I can't believe my memory has faded in just 6 months. I have a great picture of my daughter eating while sitting in the mini-balcony.)

Please go & enjoy Paris relatively inexpensively!

The Paris Museum Pass was WELL worth the $$. Not only was it cheaper than paying individually for Versailles, Louvre, Museum D'Orsay, etc. It acts as a Line Jumper--which saved us HOURS in the ticket lines (1.5 hours at Versailles alone?).

We bought them in the Train Station.