Menu

Is there anyone who has used CW and WT who actually prefers CW?

Shasta Mom

I assume you're comparing CW Aesop A and WT1? The grammar in WT1 is pretty basic (look at the scope & sequence to see). I would have NO problem doing just that and not doing anything more, especially if you've done FLL1/2 previously. There's enough time and flexibility however that if you WANT to do a bit more grammar (light touch, nothing heavy), then you'd be fine. People are all different; some want a separate program like R&S every year and some prefer it integrated. The grammar really picks up in WT2 and it's going to get extended. It all comes together 2nd semester as you start applying that grammar to writing, now that the student is mature enough and experienced enough to do that. I just don't see a point in doing tons and tons of grammar on top of that. If you want to do just the grammar in WT, it's enough. If you feel compelled to add more, do the lightest touch, which is what we do. I don't see the harm, but I don't belabor it either, just a few minutes a day max. You could continue your R&S if you really want, but just do the first few from each exercise. Or you could dump the R&S entirely, no problem. Like I said, it REALLY picks up in WT2 and is all going to come together.

Elizabeth - what would you recommend for my ds? We will hs next year. He's in 3rd grade. 1st semester we hs'd and did a little of R&S 4. This semester, he's in ps and I don't really know what he's learning. I think he's a decent writer but probably a bit sloppy on getting all the grammatical (punctuation, capitalization, etc.) details right. His reading comprehension is high and I think he reads at end of 5th grade level. So I'm wondering between WT1 and WT2. These both appear to be full year programs (unlike Aesop A and B), so I feel a little more compelled to get it right.......any ideas?

Shasta, I'll try to offer some sage advice here, and you see what you think. There is nothing wrong with ANY of the writing programs you have been considering. WT, IEW, CW, they're ALL good. All have programs that you buy that are meant to last basically one school year. (People school year-round, which is why you're seeing posts saying otherwise.) I want to repeat this: they are ALL good! Now as far as your question you've posted about comparing them, whether some are better for kids going into the sciences, etc., at this low a level, I don't see the point of splitting hairs. When you're looking at the upper levels, certainly we could talk about that. But for this level (3rd-5th), it's all moot.

To me the real issues are the personality of your ds (what suits him?) and teachability for you (is it practical? Do you like it or feel comfortable with the materials?). Now I'm going to go out on a limb here, rub my crystal ball, and say IEW would suit you. It is going to cover all the styles of writing, both fiction and non-fiction, has videos to make it easy for you to teach, and has the clear expectations and grading/checklist system your ds is probably used to from school. You might even like something like the BJU writing for the same reasons (clear expectations, workbook format, nicey defined projects that are age-appropriate and reasonable).

Look at each of the options and think about what YOU really think of them. When you look at CW, do you like it or hate it? When you look at WT, do you think your ds would enjoy it? In level 1 of WT they're basically working on getting their thoughts on paper in increasing quantities. In WT2 you expand on this, pulling in the grammar in order to take their writing to the next level with more complex sentence structure, etc. I don't know where your ds is in that spectrum, but you could look over his schoolwork and see. Do you think he would ENJOY rewriting the stories in WT? That's a personality thing and something that either fits him or it doesn't. If that fiction rewriting doesn't interest him, then I'd lean toward IEW. There's nothing wrong with going IEW instead of WT, and I'd base it on his personality and what you will feel most comfortable teaching. Sure the upper levels of CW and whatnot are cool, but they're NOT the only way to get there and they're MOOT, worthless to you if you get flustered and can't get them done. The best program is the one that gets DONE.

I'll be more blunt here, I think in general some boys would prefer the shorter models and less fictional content of IEW. Girls or boys who like to write will do well in WT. I only had a couple boys in my class this year. One really enjoys writing, so WT clicked with him, bringing out good things. The other was fine with it, but then he came to the class willingly, lol. I'm just saying I can see where some boys (not having had one here, remember) would NOT like WT. I'd consider that possibility. What's popular might be popular in situations different from yours (girls, moms who like to write and think it's fun to change models, learn new approaches, teach from a core book and skip the workbook, etc.). Pick the program that seems most teachable to you and that has the models or assignments you think will best fit your ds. If you do those things, I think you'll be FINE and happy with your decision.

I agree they are all good programs and what works for one child doesn't always work for another . I know my daughters enjoy WT's . I'm not sure if it is a girl thing versus boy thing though . My sister plans on giving it a try with her son this month as she just cannot get him to write . So we'll see how WT's works for him .

You definitley would have to look at the programs and see how you feel about them . I know for me CW though I like the format speaks a bit too over my head . IEW is a good program too but out of our budget and since I really haven't seen much of the program I don't know if it would work well for my daughters or not . Writing Tales has been a good mix of everything ( at least for us ) , as it incorporates the grammar ( which I feel really there is enough in there ) , some spelling , and games that keep my daughter's interest. I get a much better response if I can make it a game for them. I guess they are hands on kinds of girls :>)

With Writing tales like the poster above me said , WT's 1 helps them put their thoughts down on paper . I have both my 8 and 10 yr old using WT1 . Just because my 10 yr old just struggled period to put a thought down on paper . To use punctuation, to remember to capitalize the first word of each sentence so me it is worth starting from the beginning . Of course she works through it a bit faster then her 8yr old sister. But I'd rather make sure that foundation is there before moving on to WT2.

Now if you have a good writer already and he doesn't have trouble putting his thoughts down on paper then you could easily start with WT2 .

In the end no matter which you chose you will get to the same place and if it works for your child that's all that matters.

You can go to my blog and check out some of WT1 to take a look at .

It seems that I have heard a lot of stories of people who dump CW for WT. Also, another question: CW supposedly is a stand alone program, but with WT supplemental grammar is recommended, right?

I adore CW, but I haven't used the other two. I don't mind the older verbage (in fact my dd loved it and asked me to buy her a King James Bible after we did the Bible portions). The way CW was explained in the Core book really clicked with me. My first thought was, "If my children can learn to write this clearly I will be so happy!" I just never looked at anything else.

Heather

I'm not trying to split hairs and, yes, I realize that what I think is great might bomb with my kids. I've experienced that with picking teachers, but it always worked out in the end. I'm just trying to analyze these programs as best I can long-distance, and without the possibility of returns (my program doesn't allow returns). I think all your comments have been so helpful. Writing is the only program that I have put this much thought into. I really want my kids to think intellectually - not just scientifically as I've been trained. I REALLY appreciate all the effort that have gone into the lengthy responses from everyone. It's a daunting task for me because I haven't been confronted with this decision before. And yes, it may be for one year - who knows, but I don't want to curriculum hop more than necessary. Plus, I have a difficult time analyzing my kids to know "who" they are academically. If their like me, it will take a few decades for them to decide themselves...................:)

OhElizabeth,

I've appreciated you sharing your insight on this thread. You piqued my curiosity when you said the following:

Now as far as your question you've posted about comparing them, whether some are better for kids going into the sciences, etc., at this low a level, I don't see the point of splitting hairs. When you're looking at the upper levels, certainly we could talk about that. But for this level (3rd-5th), it's all moot.

What methods do you think are more fitting for kids that would be going into the sciences and which programs do you feel use them?

Thanks!