Menu

Singapore - Standards edition vs US edition

charlestonmom03

I wouldn't say that it's outdated. I've only used Standards, but I have gathered that the main differences are:

1) Standards has a few extra topics that are not in US.

2) The US Ed Textbooks switch to b&w (not color) after 2nd grade. All the Standards Textbooks are in color.

3)Standards has more review built in.

4)US has more supplementary books (IP and CWP) available

I've also heard that the Standards HIGs are more useful.

Here's the faq from SingaporeMath.com

Edited by bonniebeth4

Thank you! This is helpful - I'm guessing she said outdated because the US edition looks like it was published 5 yrs earlier, but I don't think that would make a math text outdated. Having the extra review will be very good for us over the long haul, so I think I'll go with standards.

The math is not outdated, much of the material is the same. The sequence is slightly different and (as noted) there is more content and more review in the Standards Edition.

The HIGs are said to be substantially improved in the SE edition.

We use the Standards Edition and I would repeat the choice. We also use the IP books from the US Edition series which are a great way to amp up the challenge of the basic materials if that benefits you. and the CWP books (we have the old version) are highly valuable too.

Bill

We've always used the US edition. I decided not to switch because the Standards Edition was more costly and seemed to be (mostly) a reorganization of the information, and I don't live in California(which is the reason for the SE).

Look at this to see the differences:

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

We've always used the US edition. I decided not to switch because the Standards Edition was more costly and seemed to be (mostly) a reorganization of the information, and I don't live in California(which is the reason for the SE).

Look at this to see the differences:

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

The SE is cheaper per page (despite the color content in the Textbooks vs b/w in the US) because there is a lot more content, and only a slight increase in cost per book. The slight increase in cost results in great deal of value added material from my perspective.

Bill

The math is not outdated, much of the material is the same. The sequence is slightly different and (as noted) there is more content and more review in the Standards Edition.

The HIGs are said to be substantially improved in the SE edition.

We use the Standards Edition and I would repeat the choice. We also use the IP books from the US Edition series which are a great way to amp up the challenge of the basic materials if that benefits you. and the CWP books (we have the old version) are highly valuable too.

Bill

we also use standard edition with the Intensive Practice from the US edition. big thumbs up on IP books.

We used US Ed. 3A/3B last year and made the switch to Stds. Ed. for 4A. I have mixed feelings about the switch.

Pro:

-the HIG is, in fact, quite a bit improved. This was the impetus for switching and the reason why I'm planning to stick with the SE for the rest of the series.

Cons:

-Visually the SE text is quite a bit more cluttered. I really liked the "clean" look of the US Ed. text. There are some illustrations in the US Ed. but they aren't distracting to the student the way the ones in the SE are.

-I'm not convinced that the extra pages actually add value to the text for us. For my student, I felt that the amount of review in the US Ed. was sufficient. And the additional topics covered often strike me as either extraneous (if the student understands the concepts of place value & rounding, is it really necessary to cover those to 1 billion?) or things that would be fine waiting until later grades as the US Ed. does (like factors).

I've always used the US edition. The standards weren't yet avail when I started. I contemplated switching to standards, but in the end decided to stick with US because it was working just fine. :001_smile:

If I were starting out now, I might pick standards only because I would guess there will be more support for that version going forward.