Menu

WWE vs CW

mo2

When I first started hsing, it seemed CW was all the rage. (Maybe because it was fairly new :confused: ) Now it seems that WWE is the most talked-about writing curriculum. How do these 2 compare? I'm thinking of things like ease of use, long-term results, time commitment. Any comments?

I think, at heart, WWE and CW Aesop are very similar.

They are both programs that do lots of narration or retelling and copywork/dictation. They both have some grammar.

WWE has more copywork/dictation and wants a summary narration, the grammar is very minimal.

Aesop wants more of a retelling instead of a summary, and there is more grammar (and maybe even vocab, I can't remember if it is in Aesop).

I have beta tested WWS, so from that small part I would say it is going to be similar to Homer. Both focus more on taking apart the narrative. WWS with a typical outline, Homer works around to it in a more thorough way, but also adds in a lot of grammar and also some vocab and really works on telling an idea in many different ways (the 6 sentance shuffle is great). In both using your outline, you retell the narrative.

WWE and WWS are clearer and simpler. They focus on the nuts and bolts of writing and let grammar happen along the way. One of my favorite things about WWE (and Skill) is how easy it is to use the same skills and lesson plans to do writing across the curriculum.

CW covers much of the rest of "Language Arts"- vocab, spelling, explicit grammar work, rewriting- and is a much more complicated plan. It is good, but does take quite a bit of time each day for Homer and even if I could design a similar plan for writing in another subject, we are all written out by the end of a Homer lesson ;)

Edited by Mallory

When I first started hsing, it seemed CW was all the rage. (Maybe because it was fairly new :confused: ) Now it seems that WWE is the most talked-about writing curriculum. How do these 2 compare? I'm thinking of things like ease of use, long-term results, time commitment. Any comments?

They are built on the same philosophy, but really cover different writing levels. I see WWE skills as a prerequisite for CW. Some kids would do fine in CW without the skills in WWE, but it sure makes the summarizing work in Homer easier. That way the child isn't learning how to summarize and how to do the scene/act/outline work in Homer at the same time.

CW Aesop can work with 3rd grade students, but Homer is pretty intense and you really need a child 5th grade or older. My oldest could naturally summarize by 3rd grade, so she did a bunch of lapbooking then started CW in 4th. My 2nd dd did WWE 1 and 2 workbooks, then started WWE 3 skills while starting CW Aesop. Now she is stating Aesop B and working on WWE 4 skills. She will do Homer as a 6th grader. My 3rd dd is on the same schedule as my 2nd dd doing WWE 1 now. Yep I have a 4th grader doing WWE 1 and my ds is doing nothing. But my younger three have all been delayed readers, so I focus on reading and only pick up WWE after that is conquered.

Heather