Menu

Touring Univ. of Virginia

Margo out of lurking

You can expect --

* A gorgeous campus

* A gregarious student tour guide who LOVES UVA

* To walk a lot (wear comfortable shoes!)

* To be part of a sizable mob (we've visited UVA twice, and both times there were 30+ just on our one tour!)

* To get muddled -- the campus is very large and it's easy to get lost/confused!

* To want to send your kid to UVA afterwards!

Do check out the campus newspaper, the cafeteria, and the student center on your own afterwards. These will help give you a feel for the campus.

Enjoy!

You can expect to be blown away, in a nutshell.

Everything is top notch (the dorms are ok--I never consider them when looking).

The campus is so pretty--all brick and white.

There's a lot of "campus culture/traditions," but not as much, ime, as an Ivy.

It's a really good school, with a mix of really bright and intense kids who are all about the academics; and kids who have never had to study in their lives, so they sort of melt down and spend some time partying heartily, until they "figure it out."

Wow, this brings back memories. I remember my own tour of UVA in 1983. :blink: The strongest impression I came home with was that the girls were all tall, blonde, and tan. Then I went to visit UT-Austin, and my best friend when to visit Duke. We came home and compared notes, and realized *all* college girls were tall, blonde, and tan! :D (we were obviously very impressionable and insecure brunettes).