Menu

Need Help Cooking Venison Chops

M&M

I have never cooked venison before, and have not really eaten it before either ( had a taste of stew once). I bravely purchased some venison from a friend and have thawed some shoulder chops for dinner tonight.

She told me to soak them in a vinegar/water solution to remove some of gamey taste, so they are soaking. Now what? Do I grill them? Bake them? Slather them in bbq sauce? Normally I would be braver, but I am now cooking for 9 people every night (including my in-laws), I don't have the luxury of making mistakes.

Help:confused:

-

I cook with venison all the time..well, whenwe have it in the freezer! I made it just last night for dinner actually.

The gamey taste is what it is, and most of the time we really don't notice the difference. It is completely related to what the deer eat, so some venison will have a stronger taste than others.

We love it grilled. It cooks fairly quickly so be careful to not cook it too well done. IF you normall use steak sauce, or BBQ sauce on your grilled steak, then serve it that way.

I would have suggested that you incorporate it into a stew or a sauce kind of dish since it is your first time, but not sure you have time for that anymore.

This is a recipe I recently found and have added it to my files.

Venison Tips and Rice

Brown l# cubed venison is 1 tbls oil.

Add 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper and 1 small onion ( all have been diced)

Rice:

You can add rice and water to the meat/pepper mixture and cook until the rice is done alternatively, let the venison and peppers and onions simmer for an hour or longer and serve it over cooked rice. I have done it both ways and it's fine. Depends on how tender you like your venison.

Whatever you do to normally tenderize/marinate meat---double it. I've had trouble getting them tender and not overcooking them, so I won't give you advice. Just pick the cooking method that will keep them moist.

My sister swears by marinating them in Pepsi. But, I think she does it overnight. I think the acidity helps tenderize them?

I cook with venison all the time..well, whenwe have it in the freezer! I made it just last night for dinner actually.

The gamey taste is what it is, and most of the time we really don't notice the difference. It is completely related to what the deer eat, so some venison will have a stronger taste than others.

We love it grilled. It cooks fairly quickly so be careful to not cook it too well done. IF you normall use steak sauce, or BBQ sauce on your grilled steak, then serve it that way.

I would have suggested that you incorporate it into a stew or a sauce kind of dish since it is your first time, but not sure you have time for that anymore.

This is a recipe I recently found and have added it to my files.

Venison Tips and Rice

Brown l# cubed venison is 1 tbls oil.

Add 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper and 1 small onion ( all have been diced)

Rice:

You can add rice and water to the meat/pepper mixture and cook until the rice is done alternatively, let the venison and peppers and onions simmer for an hour or longer and serve it over cooked rice. I have done it both ways and it's fine. Depends on how tender you like your venison.

I am not afraid of the gameyness, but I don't know what the kiddos will think. I am not planning on telling them what they are eating! I only got a little bit of stew meat so, I thought I would try the chops. Of course my FIL just told me they are not eating with us, so now I will have to see if I will cook 12 chops tonight.

Thanks for the help.

I will have to see if I will cook 12 chops tonight.

Thanks for the help.

If you decide you don't want or need to cook all `12 chops, then throw them into the crockpot with onions, garlic, etc. You can served them liked you would shredded beef sandwiches, or add sour cream and eat it with noodles or mashed potatoes.

Thanks for all the help. After soaking the chops, I marinated them in garlic, olive oil, and a little dijon mustard. I grilled them and they came out great!! Only 2 children (the oldest of course) out of 5 did not like them and there are only 2 chops left! Good thing the in-laws have something else to eat tonight!

Thanks for all the help. After soaking the chops, I marinated them in garlic, olive oil, and a little dijon mustard. I grilled them and they came out great!! Only 2 children (the oldest of course) out of 5 did not like them and there are only 2 chops left! Good thing the in-laws have something else to eat tonight!

I am glad your first venture into Venison was a success!!!!!!!!