Menu

Where to look for art classes?

prairie rose

We are fairly new to our current city, only lived here about 18 months, and I'm curious as to where to find art lessons. The local homeschool group suggested the local art museum which is associated with the local university and has what they call Art Lab. It seems to be geared at younger students though, my child wanting art lessons is 12. We are going to check it out Thursday or Friday and I plan to ask them if they offer classes or know where to find them but if that doesn't all pan out, where else should I look? What should I google? All our local craft and hobby stores offer painting classes (he would rather have drawing but would settle for painting) but he doesn't meet the minimum age requirement of 16. I'm trying hard to teach him myself with Drawing with Children and the Draw Squad book but he's already exceeded my abilities. So what now? (The local homeschool co-op doesn't work for us. For one they have a craft class but not an art class and we don't meet their faith requirements anyways. Sigh.)

Check for continuing education classes through your town/school district or in neighboring ones. We have some local teachers or artists who regularly offer classes to the community through that. They may have one geared towards kids (ours does). Check local colleges, especially ones that offer art education. They may have a program where their students teach art classes. If they do not maybe you could talk to the head of the art dept and have something set up or find a student who might be willing to do private tutoring or if there are some other kids in the same boat a small class. In our area there is a proffessional art teacher who teaches classes at some of the local co-ops. It is a little pricey but worth it. You might want to see if there are other co-ops not too far away that might work too.