Menu

Mamas who sew - pattern suggestions

I am just learning to sew and would love to make some simple tops for my DDs and myself. Skirts and simple dresses, too. I have no idea where to look or where to start. Any suggestions?

So far, I have made the Birdie Sling bag and the Domestic Goddess aprons, both by Amy Butler, and the Multi-Tasker Tote by Anna Maria. That's it. The Amy Butler patterns make sense to me, but the other pattern was harder to understand (I did end up "getting it", however).

So, can anyone point me in the right direction? It needs to be an online resource because I live outside of the US and need to be able to look at pattern choices online. I'm sure that there is more out there than Amy Butler ;)

Thanks so much if you can help!

Hi Laurie,

Once upon a time pattern envelopes contained one size and limited options. Granted, modern patterns with loads of sizes and views give us more for our money, but I think they are a challenge for beginning seamstresses who must hop about the instructions, guess on cutting lines and keep their fingers crossed as they hope for the best.

Further, I seem to find errors and ambiguity in pattern instructions, despite being a relatively experienced seamstress. It is frustrating.

Amy Butler is a hand holder! Her patterns are great in this respect. I do not know if other designers who work outside the big pattern companies (Simplicity, Vogue, etc.) are comparable. Sew Mama Sew sells a number of patterns by smaller producers. You might want to check out their site.

Simplicity has some great basic skirts for women. I made this drawstring skirt for a niece using two contrasting Amy Butler fabrics, one for the yoke and another for the skirt part. It was quite simple and straight forward. Recently I made a skirt from this pattern for myself. If I had to do it over again, I would can their zipper instructions and just follow the instructions on the zipper package. This is the sort of thing that beginning seamstresses do not necessarily think about.

Since it sounds like you do not have the option of examining the pattern instructions before purchase, I would recommend that you look around the pattern sites, then Google to see if someone has posted a review of the pattern online. Another option is to join the Sew Mama Sew forums. I have asked for help over there and received great responses.

Alternately, you don't have to use patterns. There is a great book called Sew What Skirts that walks you through skirt making without patterns!

Good luck.

Jane

I just sewed the girls this Butterick B4842 (D/E style) jumper dress. It was very easy. I hadn't sewn in a zipper in years. I ditched the pattern instructions for installing a zipper, went to you tube, and "relearned" how to install a zipper. There are some excellent zipper tutorials. I like this comprehensive pattern sight that has all of the pattern brands together.