Menu

Just wondering...

I just posted a question on the K-8 board about a science curriculum for my 3 little girls...specifically Apologia Botany. I have a respect and appreciation for plants and how God has everything perfectly ordered...but it's a bit of a stretch for me to think of spending an entire semester on Botany. I guess what I'm asking is....as you are thinking curriculum.....how much consideration do you give to your interest level as teacher/guide (for younger kids) as compared to the interest of your children? There are some things that I'm just not interested in...and I'm feeling a bit like I need to just get over it and not put me first in my thinking. I know myself, though, and I want to be realistic about how things will REALLY play out and not just how I HOPE they will.

Thoughts?

I've found that if I'm not interested at all...it doesn't get done. Period. I try and try and try, but if I'm not interested I have a tough time not letting it rub off on my kids. Now, that being said...I'm not a real science person but my kids love it. I have to force myself to get interested in *something* sciency or they'll miss out! I take into consideration their interest level and I often ask them what they would like to study (esp. for science). I really do try to become engaged just b/c they are so interested and curious. It can be tough, though.

As I said in your original post...I hear you about spending all semester on ONE topic. Why not try CKE Biology? It covers Botony, but in a few lessons! It also covers Human Body, mammals, insects, birds, reptiles etc. We started out using that and liked it. It might be more of a "fit" for YOU since it covers lots of topics, just not as in depth.

I just posted a question on the K-8 board about a science curriculum for my 3 little girls...specifically Apologia Botany. I have a respect and appreciation for plants and how God has everything perfectly ordered...but it's a bit of a stretch for me to think of spending an entire semester on Botany. I guess what I'm asking is....as you are thinking curriculum.....how much consideration do you give to your interest level as teacher/guide (for younger kids) as compared to the interest of your children? There are some things that I'm just not interested in...and I'm feeling a bit like I need to just get over it and not put me first in my thinking. I know myself, though, and I want to be realistic about how things will REALLY play out and not just how I HOPE they will.

Thoughts?

In regards to your specific example- An entire semester on Botany in the elementary years was waaaaaay too much for us. My kids loved observing, collecting, looking at plants under the microscope etc. at that age so I thought, "a course in botany...what a great idea".....NOT. They hated every minute of it. I'm referring to my two oldest in 4th and 2nd grade. We never made it past the second chapter. And I started it twice- because I owned the book and they WILL like it dagummit (anyone else irrational like me?).

Now my oldest has just begun Apologia General Science. It's a lot more work than he's used to but he loves it, he was ready, it was time.

Now to address your specific question. I think science in the younger years ought to be a bit more "interest directed"- although that term grates at me in general, it seems the only appropriate one in this situation. It's better to "ignite the fire" of learning at those younger years, rather than "fill the bucket" so to speak. That is someone's quote, but I can't remember who coined the phrase.

Jo

If I had a particular interest in botany I might be able to get energized enough to make a semester of it -- lots of activites, crafts, field trips, etc.. but if the subject was "blah" to me I might have trouble energizing myself to do that much.

I don't know the age of your kids; this year I'm doing physics with my 4th grader and 1st grader.. it has been perfect for the 4th grader, but only so-so for my 1st.. he would have loved to have done the animal-plant-human body studies. I feel like I really did a disservice to him this year, and I don't think in retrospect it was worth it trying to get him to go along with a program really meant for an older child, for convenience sake, kwim?

My oldest has always loved science, I feel like I may have "dimmed the light" a bit on it for my younger, something I hope to fix next year. If you're dealing with littles, I would be more circumspect.

jmo

Kate

I've seen the Botany book and I like the info and ideas in it. I have to agree with the others, though, and spending a semester on plants would be a stretch for my kids at any age. For elementary age kiddos, I prefer a more activity based science program with a broad view instead of detail oriented. I might consider using the book as part of a 9 week study. I would also consider using Zoology or Astronomy instead.

He has dyslexia, so I won't be able to just hand this to him for him to read independently like you might do with other 5th graders.

He *really* wants to use the Zoology II book. I'm thinking that I'm gonna be sick to death of the same topic all year, so I suggested that we use Astronomy (what *I* want to read about;) along side the Zoo. II book. At this point he has he ONLY wants to use Zoo II, but if he seems to start to get bored or to dread science, I'm gonna order another Apologia book to use also.

What I'd like to do is complete a chapter in Zoo. II, then complete one in Astronomy, then back to Zoo. II.

Since my son is an older elem. student *and* is asking to study something specific, I'm taking his lead on this. I'll step in and do what I feel is needed (plan above:) if I feel he's getting bored with the same topic.

Honestly, if he was in 2nd or 3rd grade or if he wasn't asking to study Zoo II specificly, I'd plan science for the year the way *I* wanted to do it.

Greta:)

I was planning to give dd a concentration in botany next year, but now after reading your posts I am changing my mind. I'll be looking for a general science course instead. If anyone has a suggestion on a good general curriculum for a nine year old (with a Christian perspective), I'm all ears.

:bigear:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thank you for all of your responses. I'm definitely trying to talk myself into it because my girls (10, 7, and 5) are showing an interest. They are also COMPLETELY obsessed with worms right now....digging for, naming, playing with, building houses for.....etc. Perhaps I can make it a little more interesting for me by interweaving a few other living creatures that are a natural part of the life cycle into the plan. I think I'll think on that a while......