Menu

Saxon math will be great for my son if he____

My oldest ds is finishing up Mammoth Math this school year and I'm looking ahead to next year. I really think he'd prefer Saxon, though we've never used it before. The "puzzle-ness" of MM really makes him crazy, though he keeps going because I ask him to. He would prefer straight forward facts. Amount of work doesn't bother him. Since he'll be in 8th grade, I just feel that I need to make a decision for the long haul and stick with it. I'm thinking Saxon 8/7 would be a good place to start.

I know that there are families for whom Saxon didn't work, but does he sound like it would?

I know that math is discussed a LOT around here (and I've read almost all of it), but I appreciate anyone talking through with me. Thanks so much.

You can take a look inside the book here:

http://www.christianbook.com/saxon-math-87-third-ed/9781591413509/pd/993508?item_code=WW&netp_id=415726&event=ESRCN&view=details#curr

Just click on "Additional Views" and you'll be able to see the table of contents and a lesson. I think the only way to know if it will work is to give it a try. If you want to know before next year, maybe you could borrow or buy a used Saxon 7/6 and have him do a lesson. The teaching is pretty straight forward. What seems to be a downfall for some is that it requires about an hour of math work a day. There's mental math, math facts, learning the lesson, practice problems, and then 30 mixed review lessons. So it's not a 15 or 20 minute a day program. But if he puts in the time, and corrects whatever he misses, I think it's an awesome pre-algebra text. :)

They NEVER present the whole concept at one time.

Each lesson is a TINY piece of the larger picture--and the next lesson will most likely be in a totally different direction!

Students who can easily fit the pieces together ON THEIR OWN do best with Saxon. Even with the videos, a good percentage of students will not do well with Saxon (in my experience 1/3 of my former students would have been better off--or switched to a more traditional program where they found success).

--

The first 30 or so lessons in 8/7 are review--after that the student is expected to put together multiple 'pieces' of concepts from the previous lessons--and they do not teach how to do this--much of this is WITHIN the actual problem set (homework)... so this is where many students --even those who used Saxon previously hit a wall---and going back and reworking lessons DOES NOT HELP==because the text never directly addresses how to do those problems!

I'm not a Saxon hater---I used to teach/tutor from it exclusively and I used the program with my own daughters until 8/7 when they hit the proverbial wall! I now teach from a more traditional text as traditional texts can be adapted easier for individual students needs... Saxon is not flexible.

Saxon is one of those programs that either fit your dc or not! For my kids it is a fit. I love the constant review of past stuff they get. Also, the incremental approach (Jann in TX refered to this when she said they don't teach a whole concept. . .) I like. Especially when we got into the upper maths like the Advanced Math book and the Calculus book - we learned better by being given the more complicated things in pieces. I think some things would have been overwhelming to learn all of it at one time. I do say that both my 7th grader (math 8/7) and my 12th (calculus) get anywhere from 92-100 on every saxon test. My ds scored 640 in SAT math and 29 in ACT math. So, for us it is a success. The D.I.V.E. cd's are a blessing in Advanced math and calculus. The solutions manuals are essential. Also, Saxon is designed for the student to do EVERY problem in the book - it honestly will not work and does not work, for students who just do odd or even problems. Lastly, I love the way geometry is worked in Algebra - advanced math. The way most curriculum work - alg. 1, geometry (while you forget algebra!), then algebra 2 (while you now forget geometry) I don't think is as effective. My ds never forgot algebra and never forgot geometry because he always had both and practiced both!

Just our experience.

Barb