Menu

Pediatrician questions

It is time for us to pick a new pediatrician.

What questions would ask?

What things would you look for?

A little history: The doctors assigned one when our oldest was born since she only had one kidney and he was the best for dealing with that. Her sister and brother had the same Dr. He retired a couple of years ago and since I failed to choose a new Dr, Kaiser assigned us one. We went to see him last spring for all 3 well-child visits and I wasn't real impressed. For my dd9 who sometimes has stomach issues (it seems upset when she has to do school, but not when its time to play) he suggested that she see a counselor. Since she is also moody and doesn't sleep well, I was thinking there might be low-grade allergies. He did not agree. I was fine with it at the time, but its been bugging me since then.

Anyway, the clinic close to our house has been being remodeled and pediatrics has been elsewhere. When ours reopens next month, they will be hiring all new pediatricians to staff it, so I get to choose a new Primary care dr for the kids.

Our family went through this last year.

Dh and I talked to numerous parents in the area to get a general feel for the pediatricians in our area.

Sending out an feeler email is a good way to get started.

We did background checks on the physicians we had chosen as potential candidates. We wanted to make sure they actually had medical degrees and were board certified.

Then we scheduled an "inteview appointment" to meet with the physician face to face.

Important things to look for are...

How does the physician present themself? Are they well groomed? Do they look healthy? Are they alert? Do they have good manners? Do they make eye contact with the parent and child?

Does the physician communicate well with the parents?

Do they communicate clearly? Do they repeat themselves? Do they change their mind frequently when giving instructions to the parent?

Does the physician take time to listen to the parents concerns?

Does the physician see themself and the parents as a team, working together for the benefit of the child?

Do they engage your child or talk down to your child?

Ask the physician to tell you a little bit about themselves.

Where did they go to college? What medical college did they attend? How long have they been practicing? What is their philosophy of medicine? Why did they choose to become a pediatrician? Do they have family? What are their hobbies?

Happily for our family the first candidate passed the interview process!

Edited by kalphs

My concerns would be...

How do they interact with the kids?

How do they take your concerns? Do they brush them off or consider them?

How do they feel about vaccines (whichever end of the vaccine spectrum you may be on)

How do they handle same day appointments for sick kids? Can you be seen that day?

What hospital do they refer to for emergencies, surgeries, specialty care? Do you like that particular hospital?

Is their office clean? Friendly staff? Does the doctor rush you through an appointment or genuinely talk to you?

Can you have appointments in the evenings? Weekends? Ours does not do this, but I would absolutely LOVE it if they did! If they do not do it, how about a doctor on call? Is there one?

Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming...

I will only get to choose from a few drs and some issues will be uncontrolable such as hours and ease of seeing them - most of those things are handles by Kaiser and the clinic.

I'm trying to think of questions that I can ask via email maybe, so I can know BEFORE taking my kids in to see how well they do together. We don't go to the drs very often (thank God) and I really don't want to have to go more.

:bigear:

Ask around in your community especially if you can find others that are likely to have similar lifestyles od believe as your regarding childrens health care and social developement. Any questions that you not sure about just come right out and ask him. Never forget. He works for you. You are hiring him and he needs to pass the test. If he is not the one, keep looking.