Menu

book recommendations/advice for friend considering homeschooling?

DDR

Since I'm a new homeschooler myself, I thought I'd call on the wealth of knowledge in this group to get some book suggestions or words of wisdom for a friend considering homeschooling.

Her main questions revolve around choosing a curriculum. I was thinking of telling her about the cathy duffy book, but I didn't even use it myself, just have heard that others used it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

The Cathy Duffy book is really good! I really liked the Learning style quiz and that you can find curriculum exactly for that learning style. She even gives tips on what to do when your learning style clashes with your childs.

The Cathy Duffy book helped me when I first got going. But, once I figured out my bent was "classical" the biggest help has been WTM with The Core coming in 2nd. The Core doesn't have the curriculum suggestions though that WTM does, so I'd say WTM over that right now. If she's not into classical then my best advice would be the Cathy Duffy book.

You might also check out books like "The Way They Learn" by Cynthia Ulrich Tobias. Lisa Whelchel also has a couple of books out. I've never actually read her homeschool books, but I have read other articles, etc she's written. She's an easy read. The Sonlight catalog (and maybe online) has some articles that may be beneficial in determining what route to take.