Menu

So if my son LOVED The Magic Finger

by Roald Dahl, and said son is turning 5 this weekend, what other books might hold his interest at this age?

Usually we only read picture books. I did read "The Indian In The Cupboard" to him and his older sister not too long ago and it PARTIALLY held his attention but not for long periods of time... other than that, this was the first book I read to him that wasn't just a picture book.

We read it last night, and he loved it. It really held his interest, he enjoyed the illustrations, he made relevant comments here and there about the story, and he laughed aloud at the scene where the ducks answer the phone!

What else should I try reading to him?

There are several more short Roald Dahl books (and plenty of longer ones, too, of course); I haven't read most of them myself, but my son tore through all of them when he was around 7 (and now his brother is reading them). DS7 just read Esio Trot the other day. Oh, and DH read The Fabulous Mr. Fox to DS4, and it was a big hit.

Other books my almost 5 year old has liked as read-alouds:

Charlotte's Web

My Father's Dragon

Tale of Desperaux

Stuart Little

Winnie-the-Pooh

Thanks for the suggestions! He does hear me reading through the Little House series with his sister and has never been interested enough to stick around and listen, too.

I did order a couple more of the shorter Roald Dahl books from my library (one about a crocodile and the Mr. Fox one mentioned here) to see if he likes more of those.

I do have Charlotte's Web and Mr. Popper's Penguins on my bookshelf, so maybe I'll give one of those a try!

I read Stuart Little with Alexa last year and I don't THINK that will hold Ben's interest yet.

Other Roald Dahl - especially shorter Dahl, like George's Marvelous Medicine.

And the things others have suggested are good - especially Mr. Popper's Penguins and My Father's Dragon.

I would Flat Stanley, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, The Jamie and Angus Stories and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

And don't stop reading picture books! :D