Menu

Does organic produce last as long as non-organic?

I order much of our produce from the once a month coop truck. I have ordered oranges, pears, apples and other various boxes of fruit and bulk vegetables. I have no problem keeping it for one month, plus. I do have an extra refrigerator, so generally, that is where I keep it. If you don't have the frig space, I am not sure on how long things will keep.

I store the veggies and fruits in the refrigerator too, except for bananas. I separate them (helps them last longer) and use the green bags occasionally.

I have a chance to order organic produce through a food co-op but they only order once a month. I was hoping to buy enough apples, pears and oranges to last atleast a few weeks or even the whole month, if possible. Will organic stay good this long?

I reuse the bags all the time. Walmart has the green ones in their vegetable section for free if you buy anything there or you can purchase them in most grocery stores.

The tip was from a friend last year, I had never heard of it either.

I didn't know that about separating the bananas. Can the bags reused? Thanks:)

I don't know .... I used to get a box of organic produce delivered every 2 weeks and we had a big problem with spoilage. Oranges especially would be green right away. I'm sure it depends on how long it takes to get them from the farm to your door, and how they're stored in the meantime. I'd ask others who participate in that co-op.

I reuse the bags all the time. Walmart has the green ones in their vegetable section for free if you buy anything there or you can purchase them in most grocery stores.

The tip was from a friend last year, I had never heard of it either.

Thanks again!

I don't know .... I used to get a box of organic produce delivered every 2 weeks and we had a big problem with spoilage. Oranges especially would be green right away. I'm sure it depends on how long it takes to get them from the farm to your door, and how they're stored in the meantime. I'd ask others who participate in that co-op.

Good idea. I will ask before ordering.