Menu

EPGY group, I have a few openings for all those who have been asking

melmichigan

I capped the class size this year because of the obligation to my time with my oldest DD moving into high school classes, our change to TOG, and some medical problems I have been having. I have a few openings right now since the system has updated and removed some of the inactive students from last year. If you are interested please PM me the parent information and email address. I will take students on first come first serve basis with veterans to the boards getting seats first, since that was the intent of the group.

• 2 weeks later...

You probably want to pm Mellissa for details, but I can answer some of your questions.

The open enrollment program costs $135 a year. That includes the K-7 math program and the K-7 Language Arts and Writing program. I can't speak to the Language Arts, because we only use the math.

The math program is entirely online. The format is fairly "bell and whistle" free--no dancing penguins, exploding stars or whatever. It is attractive, but not flashy. The lecturer sounds like a math teacher. I think that EPGY is one of the most thorough math programs I've ever found. It expects fairly sophisticated applications and thinking in many cases. We used Singapore before EPGY and switched. My boys like working on the computer, and they enjoy that it moves at thier own pace. If Singapore is too slow for you, EPGY may fit the bill. There is built in review and increasing complexity... but if you get over a certain number correct, you are automatically moved on to the next subject.

Though students are supposed to do the program independantly, it is easy to check their progress with a variety of tools, including simple time spent records to entire replays of every keystroke they made in a session. You can also check topics and review those that they need additional work on. If my sons score less than 80% on a section, we go back and review it together.

It seems comprable to some other homeschool math programs, but more than what my son's peers of the same ages are doing.

My first grader has moved through first grade and halfway through second grade coursework this year. He is currently doing problems like:

m + n = 19

m - n = 5

m = ?

n = ?

My fourth grader is doing fifth grade level this year. He likes the geometry especially. We've been supplementing with Life of Fred Fractions at the same time, and they seem very compatable.

After the open enrollment program, EPGY offers high school level classes, as well as college level math classes. I'm not sure they have the open enrollment for that, but we easily registered our older son in the program with test scores before they had the open enrollment.

Hope that helps!

Teachin' Mine,

The Open Enrollment program does not cover high school and college level courses at EPGY. From the website:

"Through Open Enrollment, students take the K-7 Mathematics and Language Arts and Writing courses, with the option of adding Beginning Algebra."

We have used the college level EPGY math. You have to apply through their normal process. Yep, the prices are those listed online. EPGY does have some financial aid, though. I called & asked about it, and they emailed me the forms. It's worth a try if the cost is making you hesitate; I found that they were quite generous. :)

~Kathy

• 3 months later...
Guest mguiang

In reference to my previous posting, I have already signed up 8. I do not plan to add more.

Edited by mguiang

I am trying to form an EPGY group of EXACTLY 8 members and start enrollment asap for current schoolyear 2010-2011. I need 6 more members. Current schoolyear will end on May 31, 2011. It costs $75 per child to sign up for the remainder of the school year (Math, Language Arts and Writing). I am guessing that it will be easier for us to sign up for next school year because it would be just a renewal for the same group. I believe it will cost $135 for next school year.

The following is an excerpt of the email that I received from Stanford EPGY:

"...your students will receive an email stating that they can now register for Open Enrollment, at which point you will be able to sign up and pay online. Once the payment is made, your children will have access to the Open Enrollment program. Please be aware that this process takes about 1 week to complete, and that the Open Enrollment program for the 2010-2011 school year will end on May 31st. ..."

Please pm me your name, zip code, email address and number of students.

If you want to join, but cannot start until next schoolyear (starts June 1), please pm me your information too (name, zip code, email address and number of students). We can form the group, submit an interest form to Stanford and you do not have to start the course until June 1. If I do not get enough people to sign up for current schoolyear, then I will have to start next schoolyear too.

I am setting a limit of 8 members for the group because, since I will be the SSA (school support associate), I do not want more tasks than I can handle.

For more information, here is the URL:

http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/info.html

progress.gif

:) I certainly don't want to discourage you but I just want to you realize that once you open a group, anyone from the county or school district your school is listed under can enroll in your class, it is not a closed system. I keep my school information private on the internet because I have specific permission from EPGY to form this group regardless of geographical location, but anyone local, within my school district could enroll under my class. I am their designated SSA, all they need to do is visit the EPGY site and enroll their student.

Teachin' Mine,

The Open Enrollment program does not cover high school and college level courses at EPGY. From the website:

"Through Open Enrollment, students take the K-7 Mathematics and Language Arts and Writing courses, with the option of adding Beginning Algebra."

We have used the college level EPGY math. You have to apply through their normal process. Yep, the prices are those listed online. EPGY does have some financial aid, though. I called & asked about it, and they emailed me the forms. It's worth a try if the cost is making you hesitate; I found that they were quite generous. :)

~Kathy

Thank you Kathy. :) Sorry this is so late in coming, I just saw your post now. :blushing:

• 1 month later...