Menu

After Alpha-Phonics

JoyfullyNoisy

Hello, all!

My dd, 5 is a week away from completing Alpha-Phonics. She completed 100 EZ last month and I'm wondering what to do next. She's reading quite well, but still doesn't seem to feel completely independent, so I'd like to keep up a methodical reading "lesson" a day.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

We did the same progression, 100 EL, Alpha-Phonics, then we went right into Pathways. Just started at the beginning, First Steps is the first book. The first 2-3 Pathways books are extremely easy and that was a confidence booster to my children. We didn't use the workbooks because mine were too young and the workbooks usually didn't "match" the reading level my child was at. So we used random workbooks or no workbooks for a year or so.

But, you could go into just about any program's first/2nd grade level, depending on how much phonics you want to continue with (we always continued with a little), your child's writing skills (mine had very little writing skill at 5yo) and other things. Just keep reading daily! Btw, I did this with 5 kids, so feel very confident.

LJ

There is still a bit of phonics left to cover...you don't want to miss out on it and have her pay later, many children not taught all the phonics they need hit a "4th grade slump" when words suddenly get tough and you need advanced phonics and syllabication skills to sound them out.

Phonics Pathways teaches to a 4th grade level and also has some spelling rules, so you can use it for dual purposes.

Also, you can use the program on my how to tutor page, just reading and spelling a few words from each unit that she has already learned for review and adding in the spelling rules. (They may bounce off the head at this point, but I like to start throwing them out there, eventually, they will stick!) This adds in syllables and words not taught in Blend Phonics and also adds in syllable division. (While I designed this for older remedial students, it can work for a younger student as well.)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

After Alpha-phonics my three loved reading all the leveled readers at the library.

We also used home made flash cards of sight words for k-2nd grade and added to these as we found words in the books they were reading that they didn't know.

I found that remembering phonics rules for spelling and writing sentences required a written phonics program. We used ETC and dictation from ETC and from Alpha-phonics.