Menu

How much work do you have your DC do a day?

snipsnsnailsx5

I started with the workbox system with my boys. Organizing their work into schedule boxes seems like a necessity with three boys and being new to homeschooling.

The workbox system recommends 12 boxes, however as we're only doing math and language arts at home - I cut down our boxes to 8.

In the beginning we would get done with the boxes after about 3 hrs (if there was no break, and that got to be VERY hard on them and me) or 4.5 hrs if we did break for a quick lunch.

That seems like a lot for just math and language arts, doesn't it?

Today I did a "half-day" and did four boxes. Although, they still did all their four core boxes...math, spelling, writing/grammar, and reading. The difference today is that we didn't do four "fun" boxes. Previously I'd have a "core" box followed by a fun box and so on...so four core boxes and four fun boxes.

The things we skipped in their fun boxes include some fun math games, or drawing projects, etc. Basically still educational, but not using their books and workbooks.

Today, when we did just four boxes of their "core" work, we got done in 1.5 hours. Some of the subjects were light today, and not a usual average day. So let's say an average day with four core boxes we could probably finish in 2 hrs or 2.5 hrs depending on how fast the boys are willing to work and stay on task.

I'm rethinking the 8 box idea. Its been so stressful and we struggle to get finished by the end of the day. Nothing gets done around the house and I am so totally stressed by the end of the day.

I'm just thinking I was expecting too much of them? How much time would you usually spend on math and "language arts" each day?

I still want to have some fun things for them to do and not just all work, though. Any suggestions?

According to my dd9 - way too much time:tongue_smilie: AND its not fair that 4th grade has more and harder work than 2nd and K.

In reality, we can usually get throught he basics with all three of them in 3 hours, depending mostly on attitues, but also on what is in the works fro science or history. That doesn't count reading for the oldest (15 minutes each, literature, history and fun)

I plan for 45 min. / day for each subject for my older 3 children.

45 min. Math

45 min. English (Includes grammar, spelling, writing, penmanship)

45 min. History (Includes geography, writing, and literature)

45 min. Science

20-45 min. Ancient Greek and/or Latin - I just try to keep us inching our way through the languages with the idea that slow and steady wins the race.

My 2nd grader spends around 20 min. per subject instead of 45. He's usually finished in an hour since he's not studying Greek or Latin, and we alternate history and science. :D

We spend about 2 to 2.5 hours a day on math/lang arts combined. This includes discussion of our reading assignments, but not always the actual reading time. We have one book we all read, and they each read one off a list that is independent. Sometimes they do the reading during their free time.

Perhaps you could do the four core boxes and finish with one fun box each day? That way you could shorten the day but still get the fun activities in. It would be something to look forward to, as well.

I ran into the same problem as you when I put "fun" things in. I just don't anymore. Plus, I felt like I had to keep coming up with things to put in the boxes just to fill them. We do 5-6 boxes a day for the older two. 3-4 for the younger 2. We do "Fun Fridays" instead.

Here's is basically what my older two do for math and LA... hard to say exactly how much time is spent, but a rough estimation:

Math: 30-60 min. depending on length of lesson and cooperation from child

Grammar: 15 min at most

Reading: 30 min.

Cursive copywork: 5-10 min.

Spelling (with me, we use AAS): 10-15 min.

Writing (WWE with me): 15-20 min.

So... I guess this means we spend about 1.5 on LA and 30-60 min. for math with 60 min. being on the long side.

including reading?? that makes a giant difference, reading is one hour. we knock out everything else in about 2 hours. math, spelling, handwriting and grammar are about 30minutes of that. i can't do a system with filler assignments, even if they are fun. dd likes bares bones. she can come up with enough fun stuff to do without me assigning fun.

We try to stick to a goal of one hour per grade level, with a cap of 8 hours (e.g. even a senior would still only be doing 8 hours per day). That doesn't include reading time. I know that sounds like a lot, but we try to encourage as much independent work as possible. Have you tried tackling the "feet-dragging, hand-holding" subjects first thing so that you get them out of the way? If they balk at independent work, try getting them timers so that they can see how on track they are (on Amazon they even sell timers that have green, yellow and red warning lights to let the kid know he needs to pick up the pace). Make it clear that they can't give up the second they have trouble and have you come running to help them -- they need to make an effort first. If they don't finish a subject within the time allotted to them, close the book and move on...they can finish it while the other kids are out playing later in the day (this gives you and him time to have a breather before completing it, and it makes the kid realize that dragging his feet on his work inconveniences him as much as it does you). Start acclimating them to the idea that you are expecting them to do more independent work by first bringing your house work into the same room with them (laundry, etc.), making a conscious effort not to look over their shoulders and casually remind them if they whine that you're busy right now but you'll help them after they keep working at it for the next three minutes (eventually you should be able to leave the room entirely). Have a firm stopping time for the normal school day (say, noon) and entice them by saying that if all three of them finish their work on time, they'll get a special treat. On top of that, have a chart that tracks how many days they complete their work on time, with extra special treats for each benchmark (five days of completed work may get them a trip to a local fun house, ten days for a day trip to a waterpark on the weekend, etc.). Kids have problems understanding why they should try to finish on any given day, so giving them goals can make a big difference.

If all these tricks fail, then I would resort to cutting out the games. But the problem in our hosuehold is usually not the amount of work but how the school time is being handled -- a mom who feels chained to their child's desk is not going to feel good no matter how much curriculum she cuts out, and a kid who refuses to learn patience and self-reliance will feel miserable even when his mom is helping him every step of the way. Best of luck.

We try to stick to a goal of one hour per grade level, with a cap of 8 hours (e.g. even a senior would still only be doing 8 hours per day). That doesn't include reading time..

I did not see your kids ages - but I was wondering how you do that: have a 13 y/o 8th grader work for 8 hours a day AND read outside of that time?

I am happy if my 13 y/o is putting in 5 hours of concentrated academic work and I have this time include her assigned readings (such as Iliad, Herodotus etc - pleasure reading is outside of school hours) . I don't see how we would get quality work out of 8 hours AND have her do her reading in addition to that.

Any tips you can share? Thanks