Menu

If you've used MUS........

Chloe

do you find that it has enough review for your dc? Do you plan to use it all the way through high school? Do your dc get bored working on mostly one major concept a year? Do you supplement with another curriculum and, if so, how?

Thank you!

do you find that it has enough review for your dc? Do you plan to use it all the way through high school? Do your dc get bored working on mostly one major concept a year? Do you supplement with another curriculum and, if so, how?

Thank you!

I have been using Math-U-See:

Sometimes the my kids do need more review, so I go to the web site www.mathusee.com and ether have them do the on-line drill or I print off some work sheets.

I do plan to use it all through high school.

My kids love Math-U-See. I tried other math programs with my oldest and she love MUS the best.

I don't Supplement, unless it's a fun math game.

We've used MUS from K and are finishing Pre-Algebra this week.

do you find that it has enough review for your dc?

In general, yes. I probably had to add some drill in the early years, but I used the classic version back then. There is more review in the current version.

Do you plan to use it all the way through high school?

No. I am planning on using MUS Algebra followed by Foerster's Algebra (more rigorous). I have a degree in math, and I do not believe (from lurking on the high school boards) that MUS is rigorous enough for math-oriented students in high school.

Do your dc get bored working on mostly one major concept a year?

My ds gets bored with anything that is not sports or video-game related. I haven't found any curriculum that does not bore him. Personally, I think that working on one major concept a year helps to solidify it in the student's mind. See my review in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939&highlight=sue+st+pete

Do you supplement with another curriculum and, if so, how?

We supplement with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems. We started with CWP 4 after MUS Epsilon. I wish I had started earlier. This year, I divided the #CWP (290) by #MUS lessons (30) for roughly 10CWP per week. We do math 3x per week, so ds does 3CWP per day. BTW, ds says CWPs are evil.

Hope that helps!

No. I am planning on using MUS Algebra followed by Foerster's Algebra (more rigorous). I have a degree in math, and I do not believe (from lurking on the high school boards) that MUS is rigorous enough for math-oriented students in high school.

Just want to clarify that you plan to use MUS for Algebra 1 and then Foerster's for Algebra 2. Is that right? Will you be using the Alg 2/Trig book that spans two years, or a different one?

TIA,

In some cases too much. In Gamma, I think there are too many multi digit multiplication promblems at the end-- ds last year and dd this year did eery other. Same for the end of Delta and long division, so we skipped some. We would not have if they had been struggling. As far as being bored, no. He adds enough other stuff in there to keep a variety-- like averages, geometric areas, gallons, quarts, pints, tons, feet in a mile, etc. etc. etc. My kids are above average students but not whiz kids by any means. They have done well with MUS and I have one starting Epsilon, one in Delta, one starting Beta, and one in the middle of the primer

For us MUS was a life saver. It was the third math program that I tried with dd. As long as it continues to work for her I'm not planning on switching.

The workbook seems to have enough review for dd. She does one page of new lessons and one page of systematic review M-W. On Thursday she has that chapter's test. If she doesn't do well, has a hard time understanding a concept I'll let her use the computer for drills on the MUS website or I'll print off some practice pages.

I don't supplement with anything. Having had such a difficult time with other math curriculums I don't want to try to introduce anything else that may confuse dd.

Oh, and we don't find it boring. Working with a concept for a year really seems to reinforce the concept.

I used MUS up into Epsilon.

do you find that it has enough review for your dc?

for that year - yes. It did not incorporate enough review of material covered in past years. Not sure that is much of an issue however.

Do you plan to use it all the way through high school?

No. In fact, I stopped using it 3/4 way through Epsilon.

Do your dc get bored working on mostly one major concept a year?

Yes. This was more of an issue for my youngest. But, yes, both did get bored doing the same topic.

Do you supplement with another curriculum and, if so, how?

I used MUS to supplement BJU 3 and 4 with my youngest. I did not need to use MUS to supplement TT 7. I do not anticipate needing MUS to supplement TT 5.

Just want to clarify that you plan to use MUS for Algebra 1 and then Foerster's for Algebra 2. Is that right? Will you be using the Alg 2/Trig book that spans two years, or a different one?

TIA,

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. I plan on using MUS for Algebra 1 followed by Foerster's Algebra 1. After that, I haven't decided, but I'm thinking Jacob's Geometry, followed by Foerster's Algebra 2/Trig.

Ds will do MUS Algebra 1 in 7th grade and Foerster's Algebra 1 in 8th grade. There is a world of difference between the two.

This sounds encouraging. I'm thinking of using MUS with my upcoming K'er. My two oldest are using R & S, but I don't think it would go over well for this dc. He's very hands on and fidgety. He also seems to be more language oriented (talks constantly and loves to draw/write), but not very mathy.

Thank you!

Yes, it has enough review for my children. Plenty. I often think it has too much review but I have my sons do it anyways. At this time, I plan to use it through high school, but I will reassess that decision when we get there. No, they haven't gotten bored at all. For us, MUS contains the right amount of content. Rather than breeding boredom, it is breeding confidence. They both like MUS and never groan about their work. I used several different things with my oldest son before we settled in with MUS (let's see if I can remember everything... Singapore, Miquon, Making Math Meaningful, math facts only, informal hands on stuff with our My Father's World First Grade curriculum). Once having done so, I have not supplemented nor am I supplementing for my youngest. I do eventually plan to add in Singapore's Challenging Word Problems - probably sooner than later (for my oldest).

I love MUS. My children are progressing very well with it, and they never complain about their work. They have learned everything that has been presented to them in a relaxed manner and they think math is fun. Both of them get very excited about watching the next video segment (it's like a treat when that day rolls around). I'm glad they think math is fun and if I decide later on that it's not "enough", I'll make a change then. But, so far, so good.

This sounds encouraging. I'm thinking of using MUS with my upcoming K'er. My two oldest are using R & S, but I don't think it would go over well for this dc. He's very hands on and fidgety. He also seems to be more language oriented (talks constantly and loves to draw/write), but not very mathy.

It sounds like MUS may be a very good fit for him. It's definately good for a child who likes a hands-on approach, the lessons are short (good for those who fidget), the lessons encourage the child to "tell back" the lesson (this is a major component of MUS), and the children enjoy coloring in the blocks on the workbook pages. He's quite young and you may find he is more mathy than you think. MUS will give him a strong foundation without overwhelming him with needless busywork.