Menu

Need world geography resource to use for the younger crowd

plain jane

I'm looking for a curriculum-type program that will last a year and would be a good fit for a grade 1 student who is reading independently.

I know of Galloping the Globe but I don't really need the whole unit study aspect of it as we already have stuff to cover Bible, math, etc. If there's nothing else, I think it will be what I end up getting. :)

Carson-Dellosa also has some nice workbooks called, A Trip Around the World.

What else is there? I'm looking for something that can give a broad overview of the world and cover a few countries in depth to give my little one a better idea that not all of the world is like it is here in the US. I'd love for lots of hands-on activities (but not so much on the cooking :tongue_smilie:).

I thought MFW had something like this available- if so, and you've used it, could you please give me a review?

Thanks.

I have GTG, as well as A Trip Around the World. I did not realize when I bought GTG that I could print off the different activity sheets (flag to color, map activities, word searches, etc.) from Enchanted Learning, and that the book list was practically useless to me (I don't go to the library often enough to make it worthwhile). We use A Trip Around the World as our main spine for our countries and cultures study, though it is not a workbook. It tells some basic facts about the country, some interesting facts (like inventions), some words for the student to learn in that country's language, some ideas for activities, and a recipe or two from that country. I also use Children Just Like Me and Window on the World to supplement the study.