Menu

Can autism be diagnosed through the WISC?

HeidiD

Or is it only NLD that is identified by the difference of one standard deviation or more between the verbal and non-verbal sections?

"According to the highly respected National Research Council, in order for an autistic child to perform to their ability on a standard IQ test, they must be able to quickly respond to verbal questions and have well developed motor skills."

http://www.iser.com/resources/autism-iq.html

So what about a non-autistic child with coordination problems, possible visual processing weaknesses and a weak working memory, who is a walking, talking embodiment of the APD warning signs? Seems like these issues could have the same effect. :confused:

Can someone like this be diagnosed with Aspergers when not a single item on the DSM-IV checklist for autism applies in his case? Or is a match of DMS-IV criteria NOT essential to a diagnosis?

Can someone like this be diagnosed with Aspergers when not a single item on the DSM-IV checklist for autism applies in his case? Or is a match of DMS-IV criteria NOT essential to a diagnosis?

Here's my two cents. I'm no psych, obviously, but I believe the DSM-IV criteria *are essential* to a diagnosis. For example, as discussed by the Eides in their book "The Mislabeled Child", the crux of the autism diagnosis (don't quote me on the precise language, I'm not looking at it this second) is a severe lack of emotional empathy. Without this severe issue, there cannot be a diagnosis. I think this is correct based on the wording of the DSM. That said, IMO, the DSM-IV criteria are poorly drafted and somewhat circular (e.g. references to stereotypical behavior), and the poor drafting, combined with vague language, can lead to over- under- and mis-diagnosis.

FWIW, I have a child who recently had more than a standard deviation between the VCI and PRI (PRI being higher, really by close to two standard deviations) on the WISC along with low processing speed. It took quite a bit of effort for the psych to tease it out of the subtest scores, and aside from the usual recommodations for the low processing speed, the most significant thing that the psych mentioned was language processing issues (it's a long story; in her case the language issues affected the verbal score). The psych never mentioned anything about any of the various LD-type issues contained in the DSM.

I have a hard time understanding how WISC scores can support a particular diagnosis if the same scores are not uncommon for individuals who do not share that particular diagnosis, unless such scores were a portion of the diagnosis along with other, additional criteria. But the DSM doesn't discuss scores, at least not from what I've seen in the autism-related sections (maybe I missed it? It's been awhile). I think there is an article from the testing company for the WISC that lists several different LDs that are associated with things like working memory and processing speed being low - I don't have time to find it at the moment - but there were several. So, in my mind, certain score combinations may point toward issues for further evaluation, but the score combinations themselves are not part of the actual diagnostic criteria for such issues.

Edited by wapiti

It was one of the tests my ds took when he was finally formally tested for a diagnosis.

Here is the list of tests they did to confirm Aspergers:

Integrated Visual and Audiotory Continuous Performance Test (IVA)

Quantitative electroencephalogram (QEEG)

Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children

Woodcock-Johnson III Tests of Achievement

Personality Inventory for Children

Gilliam Asperger's Disorder Scale (GADS)

MMPIA (I don't remember what this is)

Conner's Parent's Rating Scale (CPRS)

Conner's Teacher's Rating Scale (CTRS)

Or is it only NLD that is identified by the difference of one standard deviation or more between the verbal and non-verbal sections?

"According to the highly respected National Research Council, in order for an autistic child to perform to their ability on a standard IQ test, they must be able to quickly respond to verbal questions and have well developed motor skills."

http://www.iser.com/resources/autism-iq.html

So what about a non-autistic child with coordination problems, possible visual processing weaknesses and a weak working memory, who is a walking, talking embodiment of the APD warning signs? Seems like these issues could have the same effect. :confused:

The DSM-IV criteria MUST be matched in order to get a diagnosis of autism.

I think you and I are in similar situations, so I will leave it at that, lest I go completely OFF.:D