Menu

Leaving for anniv, cruise with dh in 2 weeks! I need your best hints and tips!!

I have never been on a cruise so any tips are helpful. We are traveling with RC to the western carribean for 7 nights!

What are some random hints of things to do or bring??

Also, does anyone have any ideas for things I can leave befind or hide or something special to do for dc while we are away?? Surprise of sorts (cheap, but meaningful:001_smile:)

THANK YOU!!

Go to the Cruise Critic boards and be prepared to stay awhile. There is a TON of information there. There are boards by topic and boards by boat. You can connect with other people going on your same cruise.

One major recurring suggestion is to buy a cheap shoe rack thingie that hooks on the back of a door for storing various things in the tiny cabins. The die-hards also recommend items like duct tape, yellow stickies to leave notes for people or the cabin staff, and materials to decorate your door. They also have less frivolous suggestions like good excursions.

I hope you have a great time!

Bring candied ginger. (just the good ol' dried with a little bit of sugar kind - good for anyone with stomach upset)

And leave art supplies or projects for the kids.

A few old national geographics to cut up for collage and paste on an old shoe box. excellent storage.

A journal for them to write in (which starts with a letter from you).

And maybe a treat for them - I like Panda liccorice. Rasberry or regular.

Has it REALLY been a year? Wow. Congrats and enjoy your time! I've never been on a cruise but I always leave notes for each day - I try to think of what activities or events will take place for that day (dance, piano, church, whatever) and talk about that in my note. :) Personal and VERY cheap LOL :)

Definitely look at cruisecritic. It is a great source of information. You can usually get a better and cheaper excursion if you book it yourself. You'll find recommendations on cruisecritic. We've used those recommendations several times and have always been very happy with our choice.

I like to bring on a case of my own water. I don't like drinking tap water and I don't want to pay high prices for the ship's bottled water.

I leave a note a day for my dd telling her what we are doing that day. This last time, since she was staying at home with her grandparents, I set up a Pennies for Prizes reward system. She could earn pennies for doing her chores/school work each day and then use them to buy small prizes.