Menu

Using book lists for literature studies

mia78

I'm wondering how other families use book lists. I am interested in using the list of Sonlight books for my dds (3rd and 4th grade). From what I researched, some people were saying that the instruction guide wasn't helpful. So, I was wondering if I could just acquire the books and do some study from them.

How does one go about doing this? Do you utilize narration exercises? If so, do you have any tips to share?

I use many different book lists for our literature study. We also do many different things with the books my son reads. Some books, we just talk about - really reading it for pleasure. Written narrations on each chapter or so - at the end a written retelling of the story. We find where the story took place, we talk about literary terms - main character, setting, foreshadowing, climax - age, level appropriate. Sometimes the books are a stepping stone for art projects. I will say most of the time, my son reads and we just talk about the books. Reading is to expand his world.

I choose books for literature that correspond with our history era using suggestions from WTWM, Sonlight, Veritas, and other threads here on the boards. For most books I have them write a literary essay using the questions SWB provides in TWTM. I have also chosen 2-3 books that we will do study guides on from Progeny Press or something like that. I chose this more laid back way of going about literature study after listening to SWB's lecture on literary analysis, and it is working really well for us.

I use book lists from many different places, mostly SOTW AG, but look around at SL and other places as well. For my grammar stage kids I just have them read, read, read.... their reading usually has to do with the history we're studying. I use audio books for some of the more classical stories that might be a bit harder to read. I will sometimes ask them their favorite part of the story, but mostly I just let them read. We tend to discuss the audio books we listen to informally as the story goes.

My oldest ds is a 4th grader this year. I haven't had anyone do narrations on their literature, but I'm going to start my 4th grader doing that the latter part of this year. I really just want the kids to enjoy reading at this point and none of my kids love to write so I didn't want to connect writing with reading early on. My 4th grade ds is now really doing some nice history and science narrations so I think he's ready to respond in writing to his reading. I'm glad I didn't push any lit analysis stuff early on as I think it would have made my kids not like reading (at least school reading). Again, they are not natural writers... someone who has a child who loves to write may not have this issue.

I would highly suggest SWB's lecture on lit analysis! It put me at ease about not doing lit. analysis at young ages. There's plenty of time for that!

Thanks everyone.

So how can I hear this SWB lit analysis you guys are talking about?

Go to http://www.Peacehillpress.com Click on the top bar on audio products and then audio lectures. Scroll through until you find the one on literary analysis. It's $3.99, and you can download to your computer or MP3 and enjoy! It will be the best 4 bucks you've spent in a long time.

I am curious about people making their own lists as well. One of the things I like about Sonlight is having it all scheduled out. If you are making your own lists how are you doing it? Do you schedule it out yourself? Do you break your schooling into a history unit? Do you have spine you use and just find other books to go along with the spine?

I think I could make my own list if I had a spine to go by. I just feel like I need SOMETHING to keep me organized. This is why I am debating TruthQuest when we finish our Sonlight Core. It may be just enough of a guide to help me and still be able to be more flexible in book choices.

I think I may have to listen to that Lit Analysis. Does she talk about what to DO with the literature? I guess that's my problem with Sonlight and their IG's right now. I agree that over lit analysis can be a problem because we should just enjoy reading...but Sonlight seems to do hardly anything with the book. I don't feel like I am teaching anything but just reading. I find the reading comp questions so cumbersome we don't really do any discussions of the book. I am just not sure what to do with the books. WTM book mentions having a free reading time where the books are just enjoyed and narrations or analysis are not required. This is great, but I just need to know what to do with the school readings. TWTM book has really helped with some of this by suggesting dictation, written narrations and later doing outlining, do the audios give more info than the book?

Edited by Nancy Ann

I am curious about people making their own lists as well. One of the things I like about Sonlight is having it all scheduled out. If you are making your own lists how are you doing it? Do you schedule it out yourself? Do you break your schooling into a history unit? Do you have spine you use and just find other books to go along with the spine?

I think I could make my own list if I had a spine to go by. I just feel like I need SOMETHING to keep me organized. This is why I am debating TruthQuest when we finish our Sonlight Core. It may be just enough of a guide to help me and still be able to be more flexible in book choices.

I think I may have to listen to that Lit Analysis. Does she talk about what to DO with the literature? I guess that's my problem with Sonlight and their IG's right now. I agree that over lit analysis can be a problem because we should just enjoy reading...but Sonlight seems to do hardly anything with the book. I don't feel like I am teaching anything but just reading. I find the reading comp questions so cumbersome we don't really do any discussions of the book. I am just not sure what to do with the books. WTM book mentions having a free reading time where the books are just enjoyed and narrations or analysis are not required. This is great, but I just need to know what to do with the school readings. TWTM book has really helped with some of this by suggesting dictation, written narrations and later doing outlining, do the audios give more info than the book?

I will preface my answer with saying I am not a person who plans out my whole year for lit. beforehand, so take that into consideration! I have all grammar stage kids, so that will also influence my opinion.

We use SOTW for history and I pull most if not all of our lit books from the AG. If we've done all the ones I can get from the library, then I search other history lists (SL, internet, etc.) to find additional books. Pretty much my older two (ages 10 and 8) read for 30 min. a day for school. They read whatever they can get done in 30 min. I also have them read with me for 10 min. each day or one chapter, whichever comes first. My younger boys read 15 min. per day (school reading) and about 10 min. with me per day as well. I'm transitioning my older child to not reading with me and just giving me an oral narration at this point, but I'll move him to written narrations by the end of this, his 4th grade year.

I don't schedule out books before hand (well, only a month or so in advance). I just look through the lists, figure out what I want everyone to read and what I can get from the library. I assign the 30 min. of reading per school day and when they finish the book they get another. I don't set a certain number of books or try and make sure we get through a book in a certain amount of time. My ds9 wanted to read all the King Arthur stories in a pretty challenging book. He took FOREVER to read it... probably 8-10 weeks??? I asked him a couple times if he wanted to stop, but he didn't. I just let him go with it and he did finish it! Looking back, I would have gotten him something simpler and not spent so much time on that. But, he enjoyed the stories and was reading so it was fine with me.

SWB's lecture is much like what is in the WTM book, but I thought it was worth the $4 anyway. There is something about hearing her "say" things that really helps me. The biggest thing I took away is nothing but narration for grammar stage (I didn't even do that because writing about what they read would have turned my kiddos off to reading). Then, in Logic stage do oral lit analysis (following the guidelines in the book) and continue with written narrations... leading up to written lit analysis further into Logic stage. Your "to do's" would follow the WTM suggestions in her book. (Do you have the latest copy? If not, I would highly suggest that!)

I'm considering TQ also.. we're heading into American History now, starting SOTW3 after Christmas. I'd like to add in more of a Christian worldview than SOTW offers, yet we love SOTW so much we'll continue that as our spine. The AG is invaluable to me. She has excellent book lists!

In grammar stage, we just read, read, read. And yes, I take advantage of various lists as I choose books. I don't spend time on book reports and while we *discuss* books (and casually introduce some literary terms), I wouldn't consider it formal "study" of literature. We begin a little of that towards ~6th grade.

Before that, just lots of reading from a wide range of kinds of books.

I will preface my answer with saying I am not a person who plans out my whole year for lit. beforehand, so take that into consideration! I have all grammar stage kids, so that will also influence my opinion.

Thanks so much this is really helpful. I think I really plan to much. It's something my husband has been very gently telling me for years!:glare: But he's right!!:001_smile: I think the time thing may be better instead of how many books.

I remember when I was reading about TQ many moms suggested don't worry about the time so much. Just read the intro and choose some books and enjoy the books and when you feel you are done move onto the next.

I make out a book list before the year starts so that when we finish a book (in our own good time), I know what we might like to read next. Sometimes the book next in line doesn't appeal to me all of a sudden, so we skip it and go to the next one. I used http://www.abookintime.com to plan my book list in chronological order of history. I pull from SL's list too. I have used TQ before and liked the book list okay. (I was not happy with the fact that for some books listed, she didn't know anything about the book. I assumed that I had paid for a list of books that she deemed quality, but that's not always the case.)

As far as the audios go, I really gleaned more from them than I did the WTM. I felt like hearing her explain it helped me out much more than just reading it. She answers questions on the audio, and I find them really helpful. Also, I really have enjoyed her history/lit. audio too. It's a lot of repeat, but there are a few things in there that were new and worth hearing.

She does explain in the audios what to do with the literature. She says how often to do copywork, narration, etc. She tells you what questions to ask a middle school child, and she explains what is expected of a high school student. But more than that, she explains what ISN'T necessary for students--like book reports, or too much literary analysis. Really, I can't say enough how much I think anyone struggling with these things should get the audios! I know, I know... you are all tired of hearing me say it. Sigh.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.