Menu

Disappointed with Science Excursion

workingmom

After a huge investment, I feel its a let down. We're only into the 8th chapter but some of the experiments aren't working and the actual text seems more like blurbs in order to get so many topics in the book.

Tell me it gets better. Or should I just skip through it for more of the worthwhile experiments in order to salvage it?

I am glad you posted this. I am sorry that it has been like that for you. I keep looking at it, wanting it. Yet for some reason I just cannot get myself to click buy. My biggest problem with it is that I have heard people have to supplement it with more books and such. I think for that price I should be able to open go and be happy.

I wondered if it was like that. If it was a rush of stuff to get it all in. Please keep us posted.

I had SE for K level. I used online stuff to supplement on select topics and felt it was little work and complete. This year I decided to just pull science together myself. I did put together 1st grade plans that I'm very happy with. However, I'm hating gathering all the materials together for the experiments I've planned! That part I like so much about SE. I keep being tempted to use SE and just supplement with online stuff and library books but the price is the issue--especially given I already wrote plans I like. Yet, when I extrapolate the cost out over three years (with shipping it's a bit less than $55 per year for me) and realize I'm spending some on materials anyway the convenience of having materials and the lesson basis seems like it might be worth it even if I choose to supplement a bit on the topics! I don't know...it's really nice to have all the materials. I'm disappointed to know that some of your experiments didn't work though.

Edited by sbgrace

I think this is the issue. The main reason I purchased it was to have all the supplies on hand. But its a pain to have to then go and supplement for that price. I have the intermediate level and I did send an email to the author and am waiting to hear a response.

If someone doesn't mind supplementing (if they need to) with it I'd be happy to sell is discounted, just PM me.

I know I could put together a science curriculum myself with library resources but working PT, three kids and homeschooling 1 and 1/2 (he goes PT to school) I wanted a break.

Please keep us posted.

Well the author did say we could return it but only the kit minus the restocking fee and cost of any supplies used. But the box is huge and the shipping and restocking fee would add up not to mention the loss on the text even though only one page is written on.

So ds and I decided just to skim through it touch each topic and do those experiments that seemed interesting and workable since.

So while I'm dissappointed we can't get another science curriculum it does save time from re-researching curriculum.