Menu

2nd Grade Spelling

JessReplanted

I think I want to drop our Spelling curriculum. :tongue_smilie: We are using Sequential Spelling. The original appeal of it to me was that you don't have to memorize a spelling list each week. Instead, you give a little spelling test every day and expect your child to learn as he corrects his own mistakes.

But I'm not thrilled with the spelling lists that we have to use each day. Most of the words are way too easy, and many of them are older words that I have to look up in the dictionary. So, then our daily spelling tests seem to take way too long, and I'm not sure that any real learning is happening.

For 1st grade Spelling we used Abeka, and that seemed to be very challenging for my son. We spent hours trying to memorize words, and then I think he completely forgot them once the test was over. :banghead:

So, does anyone have suggestions for a spelling program? I heard about one that gives a phonics rule each week and then has words which fit into that rule (??). Does that work?

TIA!

we used AAS and liked it. i am still using it with my son actually. for my daughter, i am switching to dictation for spelling though. i am going to use megawords 1 & rotate it with simply spelling: http://shoelacebooks.ecrater.com/p/1490908/pdf-e-book-simply-spelling-grades-3-12

we already own megawords 1 & just started it. simply spelling has not arrived yet. i can't really comment either way on these curriculum choices obviously ...but i like the idea of dictation for spelling and these curricula both have good reviews from my research. hope we'll like it!

We are using Emma Serl's Primary Language Lessons and I'm using the dictation sections as spelling practice. We are also using Spectrum Spelling as an extra, but I'm not thrilled with this. Next year I was thinking of using Simply Spelling instead, but I don't know if it would be too many dictations and copywork, as PLL includes this as well.

Reviewing phonics also is helping ds with spelling.

I think ds is retaining, but it takes him some effort to retrieve the data.. does that make sense?

Edited by sagira

Just another AAS family here. I like the concepts, mastery-based approach. We take around 1 lesson/week, but we have had to go back and rework our ways through certain concepts again...and again one time ;). BUT, that's all good, because I make sure that she KNOWS her concepts before we keep on trucking, and if in review later on she struggles we can just go back again and do more work in that area!