Menu

Base in Pre-algebra

Do kids taking pre-algebra really need to know about "Bases"? I am using BJU Pre-Algebra and they cover it in the 4th Chapter. I just can't see a need for it. Maybe they need it in Algebra II or Precalculus, but do they need to know it in 8th grade. If I taught it I am pretty sure they will forget it by the time they really need it.

Tammi

I do not know what you mean by "know bases" since I don't know your book. If you are talking about different number systems, then, yes, he needs to understand that our customary number system is using base 10. THAT is usually accomplished quire early in elementary math, when the kids learn place value. Place value (ones, tens hundreds) for our decimal system is based on the fact that we use base 10.

As for learning that there are number systems like binary and hexadecimal: that is fun, is stretching the mind - and is no prerequisite to successfully studying algebra. Converting numbers between bases is, at this point, a waste of time. It is fun for mathematically minded kids and becomes important when you get into programming (as you should have a basic understanding of binary in order to understand how a computer can possibly work). But you don't need it for algebra. (And for that matter, neither do you need it for calculus)

AFAIC, bases are neat to know trivia. I don't remember ever using them in algebra (I or II), geometry, trig calculus, differential equations, probability or statistics.

A question or two about bases may appear on any standardized test, with all the other really useful questions.

I highly doubt that they'll even use it for programming anymore - I haven't seen punch cards in years.

I highly doubt that they'll even use it for programming anymore - I haven't seen punch cards in years.

you don't actually USE it, probably - but as soon as you start asking the question how exactly a computer works, it comes down to switches being on or off (simplified picture!), i.e. two alternatives, i.e. a binary base being used to code numerical information.

I definitely had to convert between binary and hexadecimal for my computer science classes when was a physics major in college.

Do they *need* to know it? Probably not. Will it benefit them to know it (or at least to have seen it)? Yes indeed. It really helps kids to understand base ten by playing around with base 8 or whatever. The Tom Lerher song "New Math" is a funny way to introduce it; I assume it's on YouTube or somewhere on the net.

Do not worry so much about forgetting it. It's not so much important that they can do the problems later on; rather it will give them some helpful insight and stretch their math minds now. Keep it light and fun; don't stress.

Anyone who is likely to be doing computer programming or otherwise working with computers in a how-they-work way will need to know/recognize/understand base 2, base 8, and base 16. It's also useful in codes, electronics, etc.