Menu

Do you use TQ and SOTW? I would like....

robsiew

to bend your ear! I'm seriously considering Truth Quest in addition to SOTW3 (I already own this plus the AG) for our start of American History. We love SOTW, however I'm looking for something to add in a bit more of a Biblical worldview to our studies. I have some questions though that I'm hoping someone can answer!

1. If you use both SOTW and TQ, which one guides your study? Why?

2. Is TQ going to give me anything different than the SOTW AG as far as book suggestions? Specifically, are there enough books that would add in the Biblical worldview to make it worth buying it? I currently use the SOTW AG to choose literature from.

3. Would TQ give me more than just looking, say at Sonlight's book list and adding in some of those?

4. My kids ages are 10/8/6/5. Would you suggest the Young Students version? If you own both, what is the difference? My 10 y/o reads and understands above grade level... so I need to challenge him a bit, but it seems like I read there is some upper elementary suggestions in this book.

Basically, I don't want to spend money on something that I in essence already have (SOTW AG), on the other hand, if TQ can offer me more I'm happy to add that to our studies.

Thanks for any input! I almost have this history thing figured out!

I have both SOTW3 and TQ young people's american guides here. I'm not using either as our primary resource, but pull from both almost daily for add-ons. I think the main resource used in TQ by many is The Light & the Glory, as well as Sea to Shining Sea. Also, Stories of the Pilgrims is a fabulous choice. You'd get a heavy biblical perspective from those. I've really preferred this year over last, when we only use SOTW as our spine, because of the Christian worldview perspective of our studies this year. We use BF as our main resource. I have friends that love using TQ as theirs; I just didn't have it and was able to borrow all of the BF resources for free. Then I decided it was worth purchasing a used but new version of the TQ guide to pull ideas from for our book basket time. HTH! Enjoy your year!

I think the young kids version would be fine btw. SL core 3 choices would be a helpful addition for your 10 y.o. to read. That what I have my 10 y.o. doing.

Ok, I use the SCM guides as well and they are what drives my history program, although i'm loving TQ so much I may change this and let TQ do the driving. We're doing the MA, Ren. and Reformation using FMMA and FMRR as our spine, I go make a list of the books in the SCM guide for my dc grade levels, I go through the TQ guide and mark those books, those are my MUST read books, I read them in the order of the SCM guide and have the kids give me a narration. Since the FMMA book is a read aloud, we do that first thing and I read the TQ commentary during this time as well and we discuss the Thinkwrites. I only read the commentary from certain sections, for example if our FMMA reading was about Francis of Assissi, I would go through the TQ guide and find the section on Francis and read that during our history read aloud time. If there is a SOTW chapter listed for the section we are reading in our TQ guide, I sometimes read it to my second grader. I think I will do more of that when we move to the Ren. & Reformation guide after our Christmas break though. If you have anymore specific questions, I will do my best to answer. HTH

Ok, I use the SCM guides as well and they are what drives my history program, although i'm loving TQ so much I may change this and let TQ do the driving. We're doing the MA, Ren. and Reformation using FMMA and FMRR as our spine, I go make a list of the books in the SCM guide for my dc grade levels, I go through the TQ guide and mark those books, those are my MUST read books, I read them in the order of the SCM guide and have the kids give me a narration. Since the FMMA book is a read aloud, we do that first thing and I read the TQ commentary during this time as well and we discuss the Thinkwrites. I only read the commentary from certain sections, for example if our FMMA reading was about Francis of Assissi, I would go through the TQ guide and find the section on Francis and read that during our history read aloud time. If there is a SOTW chapter listed for the section we are reading in our TQ guide, I sometimes read it to my second grader. I think I will do more of that when we move to the Ren. & Reformation guide after our Christmas break though. If you have anymore specific questions, I will do my best to answer. HTH

I'm interested in this, however I don't know what all your abbreviations are.. what are these...

FMMA

FMRR

SCM

Thanks! I'm sure your post will make much more sense to me once I know these! :001_smile:

I'm interested in this, however I don't know what all your abbreviations are.. what are these...

FMMA

FMRR

SCM

Thanks! I'm sure your post will make much more sense to me once I know these! :001_smile:

I am so, so sorry!!!

FMMA-Famous Men of the Middle Ages

FMMR-Famous Men of the Renaissance & Reformation

SCM- Simply Charlotte Mason

Slightly different here--I'm using MOH 1, SL 6 and TQ Egypt/Greece. I debated the "which is primary" question too. Here's what I decided:

MOH is my "spine" and I go through that in order. It's strictly chronological. SL 6 and TQ are roughly chronological but with a more "unit study" approach since they focus on one culture at a time. So, when that culture first comes up in MOH, I introduce the deeper "unit study" that we'll be doing through TQ. I read the commentary whenever appropriate (I don't always try to line it up exactly, sometimes one curriculum serves as a bit of a review of something else we've read and then adds different details), and we do the Thinkwrites.

It's added a nice depth to have TQ, and it is different than just using the SL booklist (and also different from using a SL guide), because of the unique viewpoint of TQ.

I don't use the booklists in TQ as much--I prefer to purchase books (my background was solely SL in the past and we enjoy almost all of their literature and reader choices) rather than rely on the library. But the commentary and TW questions make it worth it to me. I haven't used the US history level though.

Merry :-)

to bend your ear! I'm seriously considering Truth Quest in addition to SOTW3 (I already own this plus the AG) for our start of American History. We love SOTW, however I'm looking for something to add in a bit more of a Biblical worldview to our studies. I have some questions though that I'm hoping someone can answer!

1. If you use both SOTW and TQ, which one guides your study? Why?

2. Is TQ going to give me anything different than the SOTW AG as far as book suggestions? Specifically, are there enough books that would add in the Biblical worldview to make it worth buying it? I currently use the SOTW AG to choose literature from.

3. Would TQ give me more than just looking, say at Sonlight's book list and adding in some of those?

4. My kids ages are 10/8/6/5. Would you suggest the Young Students version? If you own both, what is the difference? My 10 y/o reads and understands above grade level... so I need to challenge him a bit, but it seems like I read there is some upper elementary suggestions in this book.

Basically, I don't want to spend money on something that I in essence already have (SOTW AG), on the other hand, if TQ can offer me more I'm happy to add that to our studies.

Thanks for any input! I almost have this history thing figured out!

Thanks Ladies! I really appreciate your input! I think I've figured out I'm going to do a combo. I think TQ would be a good addition.

I think I'm going to wait on MOH for our next round through. We did Volume 1, but 2 got to be too much for my youngers. I figure by the time we go through again they will be ready for it.

I'm going to look more at the CM list as well as SL... I think TQ will give the guidance I need...

Those SCM guides look great! Only trouble is it looks like I would need the 5th year and it doesn't look like it's coming out until Spring.

Waaaaa.....:crying:

Merry I love the way you're doing things and I can't wait to use Sonlight next year along with my TQ. Do you buy the Sonlight IG? I bought an IG used for a really good price so i'm not married to using it, I do want it for the books and perhaps some comprehension questions. Thank

No, I looked for one used but never came up with one. I'm only using about half of the SL books this year, since MOH 1 only covers about that much time-wise, and I filled in with other books--so I made up my own. I've gotten to the point where I really only use the 1-page summary at the front of the SL guide--the one that lists all of the books and which weeks they are used in. So I didn't want to buy a new guide just for that! I do read the articles/appendix usually too. But I don't really love the study guides & don't use those. (Enter TQ!).

Merry :-)