Menu

is Aleks enough to really understand math?

ktgrok

I like that my son could work at his own pace. I'm struggling to know when to skip stuff, when to do only a few problems, and when to do everything. But...math mammoth really helps explain the concepts. On the other hand my son seems to grasp the concepts easily without it being overtly taught. So he may do great with a regular math program.

Just wondering if Aleks would be worth the money simply because it would allow him to work ahead if needed.

I don't really know the answer to your question, but they do have some safeties in place to consider.

First, you can use state standards now.

Additionally, the student takes the assessment for an idea where they are starting.

They do the work, having to get X number correct before moving on.

There is plenty of instruction available if your student will 1) use it and 2) use it effectively.

At the beginning of each session, they prove they know what they previously learned.

There are periodic re-assessments to determine if learning was retained.

I would like to suggest that MANY of us consider it best to use more than one math program regardless of a student's affinity for math. My own mathematically capable daughter, used several programs throughout (including at the high school level). She graduated high school early having completed through Calc II and Stats so it didn't really slow her down too much doing it that way. But she's VERY competent and comfortable with math.