Menu

Can I HS High School?

I am going to hs high school. But how?

I have been researching this for awhile now. My confidence level is at an all-time low.

I wonder if and how my kids will be able to meet expectations. I went to lots of university websites, public, private and ivy league, to get an idea of what colleges expect. The private schools expect more than the public ones do. They also have a lot more money to offer a student.

Now, I'm not bent on private education, but I do want my boys to go to a university right off the bat, and most of the schools in Mass are private schools.

I think taking the SAT subject tests is a good idea. I think taking AP classes is a good idea. I think having extracurricular activities, leadership positions, a job, and community service are all good ideas.

I went to our high school's web site. Oh my gosh! The students are taking classes for 7 hours a day, and then spending an average 3 hours a night on homework.

Ten hours a day for school. How does one do that and still have the energy left for all the other activities? What do I do if my boys won't cooperate -- duct tape them to a chair and stick a book in front of them?

If one doesn't do that, how does one learn enough to prove they can do college level work by passing, with high scores, SAT subject tests, the SAT, and AP tests?

My kids want to go to college, and we want them to go. Problem is that we cannot afford to pay for it. Thus, I want to maximize their potential for getting academic scholarships.

The stress of thinking about all this is frying my brain. They have to have a good high school education to get into a great college and from there to get into a great grad school.

I wanted them to take community college courses starting in grade 11, but even that doesn't look like it can happen here. Every cc in the area requires either a high school diploma or the GED -- and you can't get a GED unless you are at least 18.

Plus, never knowing what curve balls life will throw at us, I want the kids to be prepared to enter the PS at any point along the way, and be as educated as their peers -- and well enough educated to pass the 10th grade MCAS, which is required for graduation.

I could ruin their chances by screwing this up. Oh, woe is me!

RC

RC - I was feeling just like you are now this time last year. We are coming up finishing my oldest's 9th grade. It's been awesome.

Like you, I pored over the public and private school offerings. They're impressive sounding - because they pay someone to make them sound that way. When I talk to my son's friends, they aren't doing a whole lot, imo. Most of these kids are in the Baccalaureate program.

BUT ... I've moved science to the virtual high school and we do have the option of community college starting when he's a junior. I know there are online options for both of these dilemmas.

Your are dealing with three kids at once. I kind of am, but it's not quite the same. (see signature line) Just like having three closely spaced children is not the same as handling triplets. :001_smile:

I do wonder about your anxiousness to get them into "good" undergrad universities. My experience and the experience of most people I know is that the school you attend for undergrad is not as important as the school you attend for more advanced studies.

With my own boys, I plan to make sure they learn how to take the SAT. I hate teaching to a test, but this is the one case where it does make a difference. I feel like we're on solid ground educationally with their studies. This is the hoop through which they need to learn to jump. (Ugh what a sentence!)

If the boys can earn a scholarship through academics, achievement or atheletics, great. Otherwise, they will attend a state university for their undergrad education.

I don't know if this is helpful or not. I'm working hard to teach the boys the skills they'll need to excell in college and so far it's going well. On the subjects I'm weak, I will hire out - community college or tutors. I am more than confident that the boys will come out at least equal to their public and private schooled peers.

PM if you want to talk further. This is a hard decision to make and each family is different.

Here in Mass, there are mostly good undergrad universities and they are all expensive. Most of them are within commuting distance of our home, which is important because it is expensive to live in a dorm. Also, many of the private schools have huge or large endowments which makes it possible for them to offer more money to students who meet their criteria for academic scholarships.

I want to maximize my kids' potential to get as much scholarship money as they can. I don't want them to be saddled with huge undergrad loans to pay back, in addition to potential grad school loans.

I do wonder about your anxiousness to get them into "good" undergrad universities. My experience and the experience of most people I know is that the school you attend for undergrad is not as important as the school you attend for more advanced studies.

We have graduated 3 from highschool my oldest did an apprenticeship instead of college, my next son, is about to graduate from college w/ a 4.0 ( the one and only one of my kids who could do this, and I don't know where he got it?:001_smile:) Our oldest daughter just graduated from Beauty School, and did very well w/ all the Biology and Chemistry she had to take ( and she was pathetic at school)

So as you can see, each kid is so different, I think we always knew our oldest wouldn't do college, so we prepared him and sought out a job where he could learn a trade. But he still took all the credits he needed to graduate for Kansas requirements, I even had him take Chemistry -Apologia , he struggled all through school, always tried very hard, but he had to work at it. He finally got the boost he needed at his first job, when the kids would bring their homework and my non-math kid was able to help them:confused: who would have ever guessed?

We also had our boys take the ACT, which you can take more than once.

Our next son, did a lot of his highschool credits w/ his older brother, so graduated 6 months early, he went to trade school- graduated then finished up his ASS of business management w/ a 4.0 . HE told me we should of did more labs? and we did do what was recommended? :glare:

We have found that the work ethic our older kids have is far above the public school kids we know their age. They didn't spend their entire Highschool years totally into THEIR Highschool life and activities! they were able to serve their community and be involved in ministry in many ways. This was a quality that has served them great in their adult lives.

Then for our Daughter???????????? The most frustrating child I've ever homeschooled!!!!!!!!!!!! I never dreamed she go any further in school past HS??? but she was really interested in Beauty College, so She applied and got accepted, got 2 grants and a student loan. I was hoping she wasn't wasting her money??? she just hated school, so I was skeptical. BUT!! she loved it, and was a natural, she had to study really reallly hard, to pass her Biology , Chemisty and Her state boards, but She did it!!! And is really good! she already has a clientel at the shop she works at, she's been working there 9 months now!!!

So after rambling about all my older kids, you can see, all of them have done pretty well , but in a different way. and I was much more stressed over my sons, because I knew they would have to support a family some day.

I hope I haven't rambled to much.

Here in Mass, there are mostly good undergrad universities and they are all expensive. Most of them are within commuting distance of our home, which is important because it is expensive to live in a dorm. Also, many of the private schools have huge or large endowments which makes it possible for them to offer more money to students who meet their criteria for academic scholarships.

I want to maximize my kids' potential to get as much scholarship money as they can. I don't want them to be saddled with huge undergrad loans to pay back, in addition to potential grad school loans.

Got it! I didn't consider your location. You are in a great situation where you live.

Have you talked to the people at the comm. college? That seems like something worth pushing to me.

I think it was in TWTM that it was recommended that starting in the 9th grade, students work through one SAT review book per year. I am planning to do that with my kids, only I'm starting with the PSAT review book in 9th grade. DH wants them to take a Kaplan course right before they take the SAT, too.

We are going to farm out writing. I'm seriously considering Write at Home's Composition I annual course for next year. My boys will take suggestions and criticism much better from a total stranger. They will get their feet wet this summer with the Essay I workshop offered by the same company.

I can handle math. I can handle biology, too, if I can find a course that I will not second guess myself about continually.

I have no idea what I'm going to do for history and literature. The 4-year cycle that TWTM recommends sounds great to me, but it does not follow the plan for AP history classes or the PS' history classes.

The only reason I got set on this AP idea was that the exam grades will give colleges another way to evaluate my kids besides grades I assign.

With my own boys, I plan to make sure they learn how to take the SAT. I hate teaching to a test, but this is the one case where it does make a difference. I feel like we're on solid ground educationally with their studies. This is the hoop through which they need to learn to jump. (Ugh what a sentence!)

On the subjects I'm weak, I will hire out - community college or tutors. I am more than confident that the boys will come out at least equal to their public and private schooled peers.

I think it was in TWTM that it was recommended that starting in the 9th grade, students work through one SAT review book per year. I am planning to do that with my kids, only I'm starting with the PSAT review book in 9th grade. DH wants them to take a Kaplan course right before they take the SAT, too.

We are going to farm out writing. I'm seriously considering Write at Home's Composition I annual course for next year. My boys will take suggestions and criticism much better from a total stranger. They will get their feet wet this summer with the Essay I workshop offered by the same company.

I can handle math. I can handle biology, too, if I can find a course that I will not second guess myself about continually.

I have no idea what I'm going to do for history and literature. The 4-year cycle that TWTM recommends sounds great to me, but it does not follow the plan for AP history classes or the PS' history classes.

The only reason I got set on this AP idea was that the exam grades will give colleges another way to evaluate my kids besides grades I assign.

Well shoot, you either need to move to FL or we need to move to MA. I can handle the writing and history if you'll do the math and science!! :tongue_smilie:

Have you looked at Trisms for history? I like it because the framework is laid out and a lot of the resources are there, but I have the option to tweak it. They also have a book with titles through the periods of history - it's very complete, imo.

I'm torn on the AP thing - some colleges like it but it seems like more and more aren't giving it any more weight.

One thing I've been considering is having each kid do his own website that will display his portfolio throughout high school. One, if shows they're computer literate and two it gives some freedom for the more creative types of projects and learning. The websites I have in mind are password protected and seen only by us and the colleges they apply to.

And we thought teaching them how to read was hard? :001_smile:

I'd move to FL if I could, believe me.

I haven't looked at Trisms, but I will now.

Some colleges don't give college credit for the AP exams, but they are still useful for proving that a homeschooled child has learned the material. OTOH, the SAT subject tests are good for that too. Harvard requires three of the SAT subject tests, so they must be somewhat meaningful.

Thank you for the portfolio website idea. One of my DS has been bugging me to let him build a website, and this would fit the bill and satisfy both of us. Is there a particular website about this that you could point me to?

Thanks for all your help!

RC

Well shoot, you either need to move to FL or we need to move to MA. I can handle the writing and history if you'll do the math and science!! :tongue_smilie:

Have you looked at Trisms for history?

I'm torn on the AP thing - some colleges like it but it seems like more and more aren't giving it any more weight.

One thing I've been considering is having each kid do his own website that will display his portfolio throughout high school.

Hi Kim,

My kids have ideas about what they want to be when they grow up. DS1 wants to be a surgeon and he has the brains for it.

DS2 wants to be a fantasy book author. He writes all the time, but most writers can't make a living from it. His fall back plan is to be a nuclear physicist and to go to MIT, but he is not good at math & science so I have no clue where this idea came from. He has no abilities that would stand him in good stead in a skilled trade. He has Nonverbal Learning Disorder, so visual/spatial abilities, fine motor skills, mechanical abilities, and the like just aren't there for him.

DS3 has an all-consuming interest in baseball (possible Asperger's Syndrome). He wants to work for MLB, ideally for the Red Sox, as a general manager. That would take a college degree, but his prospects of getting his dream job are probably pretty low.

DD has superior math abilities, but wants to be a fashion designer or an artist.

These kids, except for DS1, just aren't ready to jump into one avenue of interest. I'm not too worried about that yet, as long as they have some sort of plan by the time they have finished a couple of years of college.

I hope that I can get DH to agree to let them have a gap year so they can work and gain some maturity between high school and college. I am supportive of whatever avenue each of my kids wants to pursue. My idea is that they should find something they enjoy doing for a living that will enable them to support themselves and their families. DH is a different matter -- he thinks they should all go to college and grad school and Make Something of Themselves.

We have graduated 3 from highschool my oldest did an apprenticeship instead of college, my next son, is about to graduate from college w/ a 4.0 ( the one and only one of my kids who could do this, and I don't know where he got it?:001_smile:) Our oldest daughter just graduated from Beauty School, and did very well w/ all the Biology and Chemistry she had to take ( and she was pathetic at school)

You've got me panicked just reading this thread, and I'm currently in the midst of high school with my oldest! I assume you've been reading the high school board -- you might get more reassurance if you post your worries over there.

In the meantime, take a deep breath and relax! Homeschooling high school isn't rocket science! And it becomes more of your child's burden than yours as they get older because ultimately they are the ones who have to take the tests, to put together their portfolios, to face the interviewers.

I would suggest that you focus less on what neighborhood schools are doing, and focus more on what your standards, goals and philosophy of education are. Help your kids focus on their interests and dreams. It doesn't hurt to know that colleges want their applicants to have so many years of science or foreign language, but if you focus on what YOU believe to be an excellent education, you will feel in control of the situation, and not be killing yourself with comparisons, worrying over what you perceive the "competition" to be.

Omnibus, Tapestry of Grace, Trisms -- any of those programs will cover history and literature for you and cover it well. More power to you if you have math and science under control!! It doesn't have to be 10 hours per day of school, though many families on the high school board here do have impressively full schedules!

Many of the private schools here in CA take transfers from the local community college system. It makes for an easier and cheaper route to college, and no one ultimately cares where you spend your freshman year!

Hope this helps give you some perspective. Trust me, I've had many of those moments of total panic thinking I've really ruined my child's life because of the homeschooling decisions I've made!

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, I am worrying about ruining my children's lives and I've got 4 more years to do it. I am overwhelmed.

I will check out the curricula you mentioned. Thanks.

RC

Hope this helps give you some perspective. Trust me, I've had many of those moments of total panic thinking I've really ruined my child's life because of the homeschooling decisions I've made!

You can do it, even without community college! Pennsylvania homeschoolers is online and offers top-notch AP courses for teens. We used Indiana University last year, for dual credit courses, but they also offer high school coursework and even diplomas, if you want to go that route. The professors for my son's classes last year were excellent. They emailed, called him and were so very encouraging and complimentary! The staff was always easy to work with, too.

If cost is an issue, you can use course outlines from other AP type work to help you create your own solid programming. Then let them take the subject tests to prove their skill level in those areas.

One thing I've been considering is having each kid do his own website that will display his portfolio throughout high school. One, if shows they're computer literate and two it gives some freedom for the more creative types of projects and learning. The websites I have in mind are password protected and seen only by us and the colleges they apply to.

Neat idea. Thanks.

Thank you all so much for your help.

I've decided not to worry about whether the boys ever have to or want to attend PS. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. I've researched curricula for history, literature, and science over the past two years, and I don't like any of the textbooks available. So we are going to use what I call the learning discovery method instead of the memorize and regurgitate method this year.

You all have been so helpful that I'm going to list the curricula I'll be using, along with urls, in case any of you are interested.

So for 9th grade, we are going to use Trisms for history and literature (plus some selections from TWTM ancient lit & mythology). http://www.trisms.com/DAW/learnmore.html

For composition, the boys will take Composition I and Essay Writing I workshop at Write at Home. http://www.writeathome.com/

Biology will likely be High School Biology in Your Home. http://www.scienceforhighschool.com/biosamples.shtml

For math, we will be using the Keys to (math) series and Life of Fred. http://www.stanleyschmidt.com

For computer programming fundamentals, we are going to look at this, as Dick Baldwin recommended it to me:

http://scratch.mit.edu/ .

We will definitely use Dick Baldwin's Learn to Program Using Alice:

http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm

For P.E., we will use the athletic club we belong to, plus DS2 takes karate lessons. For health, we will use Abeka's course, Health in Christian Perspective.

https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=62081

I may wait until next year for the boys to take the first of two years of a foreign language.

I'm looking at it this way: If all else fails, the boys can take 5 years to complete high school. The important thing is that they receive a great high school education, not that it fits squarely into the PS box or that it is accomplished in as short a time as possible. (I don't think this program of study will fail, though.)

(One of my DS has nonverbal learning disorder and the other has something -- probably Asperger's. We have to wait until the end of the year to get them diagnosed at the local medical center because there is a waiting list there. For now, we are working on the theory that the PS evaluation they recently underwent is correct.)

Thank you again, all of you, for your help!

RC