Menu

Lial's Intermediate Algebra vs Foerster's Algebra II

They both have 'rigor' and then both cover Algebra 2 in detail. There will be a slight difference in the emphasis of the last few chapters... this is a normal variation between texts. Both provide an excellent foundation for Pre-Calc.

I personally like Lial's organization of topics a little bit more than Foersters. I think the lessons/ examples in the Lial text are more clear too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you cant' really go wrong with either text--it all comes down to personal preference.

"Honors" is really not a valid term anymore... what one course calls 'honors' is standard in another program. You can call just about any class 'honors'.

I don't give honors credit for Lials--and I wouldn't for Foersters either. I do have an honors option in my Geometry class-but the curriculum has lots of additional/optional material so that designation can be 'backed up' with the extra work load.

To make an Algebra 2 (from either program) honors you would need to supplement with some additional (challenging) problem solving (although both programs are strong in this area) and possibly a few reports on mathematicians and/or uses for math...I consider Honors level courses to be 'above and beyond'... not just a few piddly problems more each day.

To make an Algebra 2 (from either program) honors you would need to supplement with some additional (challenging) problem solving (although both programs are strong in this area) and possibly a few reports on mathematicians and/or uses for math...I consider Honors level courses to be 'above and beyond'... not just a few piddly problems more each day.

Hear, hear! :) :iagree:

First, thank you so much for your help with this!

Where would I find problems like these? I was planning to have him write two papers for the course because I had heard that the honors sections at the local high school did this.

My son is enrolled in a public high school alternative program and I just found out that he can get an honors designation for the courses he does at home. You would have thought they would have mentioned this up front, when I told them that his college goal is Caltech or MIT and that we are trying to provide as rigorous experience as possible. But, no, I had to learn it 8 weeks into the year from another parent.