Menu

Graduation party for one person where guests are asked to bring a dish to share

We seem to get invited to a fair number of potlucks, but they are usually for more generic family gatherings rather than for a party in celebration of a single individual. Our family usually meets at my in-laws' place simply because they have the largest house, but I wouldn't expect the in-laws to provide all the food at every event. If it's someone's birthday or graduation, the immediate family of that person supplies the cake or whatever food they want to have.

I do think it's a little tacky to throw a party for your child and expect other party attendees to supply the food. If someone offers, fine, but I certainly wouldn't put it on the invitation. If it were me and I couldn't afford a big party, I'd just invite fewer people, or have the event in the afternoon and just serve dessert or other snacks. Maybe the social rules are changing here, or as others have noted, the rules differ regionally.

We were invited to "Italian night" at someone's house while back, then the hostess called the day before the party and asked me to bring a main dish - something that wasn't even mentioned at the time of the invite! I chose to do it, but I don't think I'll be accepting any more dinner invitations there again. I kinda felt like if she wanted to have a party, she should be doing more than tossing out a bag of salad while expecting others to put together elaborate dishes. Or, she should have been a little more descriptive about her plan from the get-go. Maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic